IEEE seeks experienced Scientific Editor
If it impacts technology, IEEE has it covered. We publish technical journals, organize conferences and develop technology standards that help technological professionals exchange ideas, expand their knowledge, and move forward in their fields. With more than 400,000 members, IEEE is the world’s largest professional association advancing technology for the benefit of humanity. We are a catalyst for exciting breakthroughs in computing, sustainable energy systems, aerospace, communications, robotics, healthcare, and many other disciplines that improve the quality of life. Discover your future as part of the IEEE team. Consider the following opportunity:
Managing Editor, IEEE Access
Piscataway, New Jersey
Job Summary: The successful applicant will work to ensure a high-level of success for IEEE’s open access multidisciplinary journal, IEEE Access, by advising and assisting the Editor-in-Chief and the Editorial Board in the strategic planning and execution of the IEEE Access editorial program, managing the peer review process and peer review system for the journal in accordance with the policies and processes defined by the Editor-in-Chief and Editorial Board within established IEEE publication policies and standards. Additionally, the Managing Editor will:
• Streamline the review process to the shortest interval possible without compromising quality, including:
o Reviewing and critiquing submitted manuscripts in consultation with the Associate Editors and reviewers
o Guiding reviewers and authors in preparing material for publication
o Drafting all author and reviewer correspondence on behalf of the Editor-in-Chief
o Resolving author/reviewer problems and conflicts, as required
• Interface with editorial production staff, as well as other staff and volunteers, to ensure rapid publication of content
• Contribute new content to the IEEE Access web site
• Plan and execute the annual IEEE Access Editorial Board meeting
• Assist the Senior Director, Publishing Operations, in budgeting and forecasts related to the publication
• Work with IEEE marketing staff, or other outside promotional organizations, to develop a strategy and implement a plan to drive submissions to IEEE Access
• Recommend and influence the Editor-in-Chief in submitting new board member nominations to the IEEE Publication Services and Products Board N&A Committee
• Conduct and analyze reader and author surveys and present results and recommendations to the Editor-in-Chief, Editorial Board, and Senior Director, Publishing Operations
The Managing Editor of IEEE Access is expected to guide and serve the Editorial Board as a publishing expert, using knowledge of the STM publishing business environment to ensure the strategic development of the journal by, for example, recommending the type of content that is best suited to meet the goals and objectives of the publication. The ME also recommends and implements new types of content and new methods of publication.
Success will be measured by the number of articles published per year compared with the annual budget and whether the journal achieved or exceeded financial expectations. Therefore, the ME will manage the development of the annual budget and monthly forecasts, as well as the development of long-term projections regarding the financial health of the journal.
Education and Experience:
• A Doctorate degree (will consider a Master’s degree) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or a closely allied field of science or technology is required.
• A minimum of 10 years’ experience in a technical publishing leadership role is highly desirable; candidate should have extensive subject matter knowledge of both STM publishing and electrical engineering theory, applications, and professional practices.
Skills & Other Requirements:
• A solid and diverse understanding of the interrelationships and trends of state-of-the-art developments in electrical and computer technology is desired.
• Insight into corporate, academic and research lab roles in engineering progress is preferred.
• Extensive experience in publication planning and scheduling, and knowledge of the publication process, is critical to the success of the journal. The ability to balance decisions of the Editorial Board with the best business interests of the IEEE is necessary.
• The ability to write well and critique other authors/contributors, especially with regard to highly technical and complex content, is also a key skill set for this position.
• Knowledge of online peer review systems, such as ScholarOne Manuscripts or Aries Editorial Manager, is preferred.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office products, such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and e-mail systems, such as Microsoft Outlook or Gmail, are required.
Please apply online by going to this URL: https://ieee.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=180076&tz=GMT-05%3A00
Only those resumes that go through the URL from the web address will be considered. NO THIRD PARTIES PLEASE.
For information on work demands and conditions required for this position, please consult the reference document, “Physical, Mental, and Work Environment Standards for IEEE Positions.” This position is classified under [Category I—Office Position].
IEEE is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled
Disclaimer: This job description outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons.
Visit www.ieee.org to view details about open positions in one of our four offices: Los Alamitos, CA; New York City; Piscataway, NJ; & Washington, DC.
The IEEE is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.