The Electromagnetic Systems group at the Department of Electrical Engineering seeks a qualified candidate for a PhD position in cryogenic MRI coil array development at the Center of Excellence (CoE) in Hyperpolarized Magnetic Resonance (www.hypermag.dtu.dk). The mission of the center is to enable new applications of Magnetic Resonance.
The objective of the PhD project is to improve signal to noise ratio in Magnetic Resonance (MR) systems by implementing low-noise multi-element coil arrays. In order to reduce the noise of the array, the coils and associated frontends (matching, tuning, balancing circuits and amplifiers) will be cooled down to cryogenic temperatures.
Responsibilities and tasks
The main outcome of the project will be a cryogenic human head coil array technology ready to be implemented in clinical environment. It is a cross-disciplinary project and a collaboration between Departments at DTU as well as other national and international institutions.
The tasks and responsibilities include:
- evaluate different coil array configurations and identify most promising for the present application
- develop efficient coil decoupling strategies minimizing noise correlation between array elements
- develop specification and coordinate fabrication of the cryostat
- design and implement cryogenic head coil array for 13C MRI
- coordinate efforts on mechanical and electrical safety tests and approval for clinical use
- disseminate the project results to the public and exchange of knowledge with society.
The applicant may take part in research-based teaching.
It is essential that the candidate contributes to the development of a good work atmosphere and a thriving environment.
Candidates should hold a two-year MSc (120 ECTS points) or a similar degree with an academic level equivalent to a two-year MSc, preferably in electrical engineering.
It is an advantage to have experience in
- High frequency circuit design, fabrication and testing
- Use of VNAs, spectrum analysers, noise figure meters and other measurement equipment in circuit testing
- High frequency circuit design software
- Cryogenic technology
- MR technology
The position also requires that:
- You are driven by pushing boundaries
- You are motivated by both individual and team accomplishments
- You thrive on collaboration and teamwork
Approval and Enrolment
The scholarship for the PhD degree is subject to academic approval, and the candidate will be enrolled in one of the general degree programmes at DTU. For information about our enrolment requirements and the general planning of the PhD study programme, please see the DTU PhD Guide.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and appointment terms
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union. The period of employment is 3 years.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
Further information may be obtained from Associate Prof. Vitaliy Zhurbenko, tel.: +45 4525 3820.
You can read more about the Department of Electrical Engineering and the Electromagnetic Systems group at www.elektro.dtu.dk.
Please submit your online application no later than 18 February 2019 (local time).
Apply online at www.career.dtu.dk.
To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form. The following must be attached in English:
- A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
- Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system (see guidelines and Excel spreadsheet here)
Candidates may apply prior to obtaining their MSc but cannot begin before having received it.
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
The Department of Electrical Engineering is the central department within electrical engineering. It is our goal to ensure research and engineering training at the highest international level. The department is organized into 5 groups each covering important areas of electrical engineering.
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. Our staff of 6,000 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society, and our 11,200 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government and public agencies.