Janelia Research Campus is a pioneering research center in Ashburn, VA, where scientists pursue biology's most challenging problems in a uniquely innovative and collaborative atmosphere. The programs within Janelia’s Science and Training Department complement our scientific research by enriching the intellectual environment and providing opportunities for collaboration. Our team is responsible for running scientific conferences and seminars, supporting visiting scientist projects, and the recruitment and training of laboratory heads, postdocs and students. We work closely with our scientists, operational staff and external visitors to advance Janelia’s mission of doing transformative science.
Janelia's Science and Training team is seeking a temporary Administrative Assistant to provide administrative, operational and organizational support to the High School, Undergraduate, Graduate, Postdoctoral, Scientific Recruiting and Visiting Scientist Programs.
This is a temporary position intended to last 3 months.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Answering routine telephone, postal and email inquiries; responding accurately, expediently and effectively or forwarding as appropriate
- Resolving routine matters and responding to minor problems or complaints
- Making complex travel arrangements, including booking flights, hotels, other accommodations, and registering for conferences
- Preparing and processing expense reports and payments
- Drafting offer letters for students and visiting scientists
- Entering offer letters and agreements into HHMI’s knowledge management system
- Preparing documents to initiate visa support for international students and visiting scientists
- Initiating the onboarding process for high school interns, undergraduate students and visiting scientists; submitting Personnel Action Forms.
- Assisting with document preparation in Word, Excel, Adobe and PowerPoint
- Scheduling and coordinating meetings and visits; arranging food and AV support as needed
- Serving as a liaison between the department and other operational groups
- Entering information into databases and spreadsheets
- Making meeting room and guest house reservations
- General office duties such as printing, copying, mailing, purchasing, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
- This position does not supervise any employees.
- This position does not manage a budget.
- Bachelor’s degree equivalent experience
- Experience in an administrative position preferred
- Experience in a biomedical research environment beneficial
Skills and Abilities:
- Works well independently, with minimal supervision; functions proactively and resourcefully
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to draft correspondence and basic reports ensuring accuracy of spelling and language.
- Strong interpersonal skills; collaboratively engages with people inside and outside of the team
- Excellent organizational skills with keen attention to detail, accuracy and follow-through
- Exhibits discretion and good judgement in all aspects of the job
- Cooperative, self-motivated, flexible, patient, and able to solve problems; actively seeks opportunities to increase skills and expertise
- Ability to prioritize and make decisions independently
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient with MS Office applications and familiarity with researching information on the Internet
Applications without cover letters will not be reviewed.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.