Ref. 12.18.76 Junior Fellow - Electrochemical detection systems for water contaminants
Employer: International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory (INL)
Location: Braga, Portugal
Department: Life Sciences
Group: Water Quality Research Group
Job Type: Full time
Contract Duration: 18 months
Closing Date: January 28th, 2019 23:00 (Lisbon time)
Salary: Competitive package and benefits
INL is seeking a Junior Fellow for the development of a project in the area of biosensors for water monitoring, whose main responsibility will be to support the Water Quality Research Group in developing a portable electrochemical-based detection system for monitoring of water contaminants (pesticides, herbicides and PAHs) based on Molecular Imprinted Polymers.
Job Role & Key Responsibilities
The successful candidate for this position is expected to work, under the supervision of a team of experienced researchers in the area, on the development of a portable electrochemical detection system based on molecular imprinted polymers for water contaminants.
The Junior Fellow will also be responsible for the following tasks:
- Perform regular analysis of contaminated water using well-established analytical methods such UV-Vis and HPLC;
- Execute the synthesis of MIPs, integration with electrochemical sensors, preparation and testing of contaminated solutions and samples from seawater, and process water samples for analysis.
- Prepare the work planning;
- Produce technical and scientific documentation.
Applicants should meet the following requirements:
- MSc in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science or related fields;
- Demonstrated experience in surface chemistry and electrochemical biosensors and/or demonstrated experience in the development of synthetic recognition probes as molecular imprinted polymers;
- Demonstrated experience in analytical chemistry and materials characterization techniques such as SEM, FTIR, UV-VIS, HPLC, Raman;
- Experience in microfluidics will be positively evaluated.
- Strong drive to carry out research in the proposed topic;
- Solid motivation to work both independently and as part of a team in an interdisciplinary project;
- Good track record of disseminating research results.
English is the working language of INL. Therefore, excellent communication skills in English are required.
What we offer
- Employment contract and competitive compensation package;
- Employees will also benefit of the various social facilities available at INL;
- International and highly competitive environment in contact with leading edge technology.
How to Apply
International candidates are welcome to apply. Only applications in English will be accepted. The application is made online. Please click on the 'Apply' button. Interested applicants should submit a motivation letter, a full curriculum vitae and University certificates. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If your application is successful and you accept our offer of employment, you will receive the employment agreement and all other relevant documents. If you are relocating, you will be given assistance by the HR Office.
If Your Application is Not Successful
We highly value the interest shown from applicants wishing to become a part of the INL experience. It is important for us to maintain good communications with candidates. No matter the outcome of the application, we always send the applicant an answer.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Principle
INL is an equal opportunity organization, committed to providing equal career opportunities and firmly adheres to a principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issues.
Enquires should be made to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The advertisement deadline may be extended at any time without previous notice in order to improve the suitability and effectiveness of the recruitment process.