HHMI is widely recognized as the world’s foremost medical research organization and a leading light in science education. We have achieved this leadership role by aligning our mission with our vision, capitalizing on change, encouraging risk taking, and fostering innovation. At the root of our work is the belief that significant advances in science are made possible when exceptionally talented researchers are given the time and freedom to pursue their interests and challenging, long-range questions.
At HHMI, you are not just an employee – you are a part of a creative and talented team with colleagues whose expertise ranges from biomedical research to investment management, from information technology to law. Together, we are working toward a common goal – advancing biomedical research and promoting science education.
We are seeking an experienced business analyst to support the mission and responsibilities of the HHMI Office of the General Counsel (“OGC”) with respect to operational initiatives, process development and documentation, and administrative support. In this role, you will use independent thinking and creative problem-solving to understand OGC business practices and processes, identify opportunities, and help design and implement solutions to improve the efficiency and quality of OGC operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in efforts to analyze, plan, design, and launch efficient business processes and technology systems to support overall OGC operations.
- Collect, document, and prioritize user requirements for technical projects. Requirements gathering may include researching and analyzing data to define business functions, visualization/mock-ups to help facilitate requirements sessions, gaining process knowledge, and understanding/defining system requirements.
- Recognize and research problems and identify underlying causes, make recommendations, and assist in implementing solutions.
- Serve as proxy Subject Matter Expert (SME) and backup for Manager, Legal Operations on OGC technology and business processes.
- Participate in sprint planning, application demonstrations, and conference calls.
- Lead and participate in User Acceptance Testing (UAT) efforts for OGC technical solutions. Assist with support facilitation of OGC technical solutions in production.
- Track and report project and task status. Coordinate efforts with the technical team to ensure that requirements are implemented correctly.
- Assist with internal change management efforts associated with new or upgraded technology deployments or changes in business processes.
- Work collaboratively with OGC personnel and other HHMI colleagues on OGC operational initiatives.
- Generate reports and respond to ad hoc queries relating to business decisions. Assist with the management of data integrity of OGC databases.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Manager, Legal Operations, including general office responsibilities, assistance with special projects, and backing up other OGC non-attorney staff.
- Adherence to the highest ethical standards
- Ability to understand and interpret business requirements
- Proficiency in MS Office, especially Excel and Visio; familiarity with iManage document management system a plus
- Strong analytical and logical problem solving skills with ability to exercise independent judgment
- Acute attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills with proven ability to develop and maintain effective business partner relationships at all levels of the organization and to present technical information to a non-technical audience
- Excellent time management and prioritization abilities with handling multiple tasks in a changing environment with attention to detail, and the ability to perform duties with minimal supervision
- Consummate team player and collaboratively with all levels of staff
- High level of professionalism and accountability; handles sensitive/confidential information with appropriate care
- Creativity and positive attitude
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with a business orientation preferred
- 3-5 years of related business analyst experience, preferably in a law firm or corporate legal department