Institute of Computational Biology
Area of research:
As German Research Center for Environmental Health, Helmholtz Zentrum München pursues the goal of developing personalized medical approaches for the prevention and therapy of major common diseases such as diabetes mellitus, allergies and lung diseases. To achieve this, it investigates the interaction of genetics, environmental factors and lifestyle.
The Institute of Computational Biology is globally recognized for innovations in data analysis and modeling of biological systems, anchored at the Helmholtz Zentrum Munich and the Technical University Munich.
Together with the Institute of Lung Biology and Disease we are looking for a
The Ph.D. project will focus on the characterization of genetic factors describing pulmonary fibroblasts in chronic lung diseases and the identification of transcriptional factors that can be used to reprogram diseased lung fibroblasts to healthy lung epithelial cells.
The aims of the projects involve:
- Identifying biomarkers that lead to fibroblast formation in the lung for early risk assessment
- Developing a risk prediction model using the identified biomarkers
- Modeling longitudinal mass cytometry data to describe the reprogramming path of fibroblasts to epithelial cells
- Analyzing and integrating simultaneously collected single-cell RNA-seq data
The Ph.D. candidate will have the opportunity to be integrated into the experimental partner lab to help develop novel analytical strategies in direct interaction with the members of the experimental lab.
- A Master’s Degree in Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, Statistics or related fields (with significant experience in Bioinformatics)
- Experience in multivariate statistics and Bayesian modeling
- Excellent Programming skills (R, Python, C/C++)
- Scientific curiosity and ability to work independently
- Highly motivated to work in a young and multi-disciplinary, collaborative environment
- Fluent in written and spoken English
The following qualifications are considered advantageous
- Experience in time series analysis
- Basic understanding of mass cytometry analysis
- Basic understanding of single-cell RNA-Seq analysis
At the Helmholtz Zentrum München, you can contribute together with leading researchers to the investigation of the development, prevention and treatment of environmental diseases such as diabetes, chronic lung diseases and allergies. In order to further promote your professional development, we offer extensive and targeted research training and career programmes. We support the reconciliation between work and private life with flexible working time models, occupational health management, day care facility for children, a childcare subsidy, Elder Care, as well as other counseling and support services.
Remuneration and benefits are in accordance with the collective agreement for the public service (EG 13 for 50% TV EntgO Bund). In addition, there is also the possibility of granting an allowance amounting to 15% if the necessary conditions are fulfilled.
The position is (initially) limited to three years.
The activity involves special knowledge and experience specific to own scientific skills.
As a holder of the Total E-Quality Award, we promote equality of opportunity. In order to increase the proportion of women in management positions, we would be pleased to receive corresponding applications. Qualified applicants with physical disabilities will be given preference.
We are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive online application.