Job Title Research Scientist/Senior Scientist – Research & Development
Grade Research Scientist/Senior Scientist (depending on experience)
Reports to Group Leader, Research & Development
Department Research & Development
Hours Full Time
About the NewCo
The NewCo plans to develop next generation engineered T-regulatory cell (Treg) therapies for a range of solid organ transplant and autoimmune conditions. The NewCo has secured financial backing from Syncona (www.synconaltd.com), a London listed FTSE 250 healthcare company, and plans to become a leading engineered Treg cell therapy company.
The NewCo has assembled a group of scientific Founders with world leading expertise in T-regulatory cells, cell engineering, solid organ transplantation and autoimmune diseases. With them, we are building a biotechnology company with the goal to become the leader in treating conditions of immune dysfunction utilising gene-modified cells.
We are currently expanding our in-house capabilities in Research & Development, Manufacturing and Clinical Development and are seeking talented, motivated individuals to grow with us and make a positive impact on patients’ lives. This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-moving, innovative company and to make a real impact from early on.
The NewCo plans to launch in Q1 2019.
We are seeking a highly motivated scientist to join the Research & Development team in our state of the art laboratories based in London. Candidates will require expert knowledge of immunology and T cell biology. They must have proven skills performing in vivo and in vitro cellular and molecular studies. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a talented and motivated scientist to contribute to a growing pipeline of assets in an exciting and highly dynamic environment focused on developing cutting-edge cellular therapies.
• Drive complex molecular and cell-based experimentation aimed at understanding and modulating the regulatory capacities of Tregs in different immune conditions.
• Conduct in vitro and in vivo experimentation aimed at understanding clinical observations with Treg therapies in various transplant and autoimmune conditions.
• Design, execute and analyse molecular, cellular and immunological assays to investigate immune mechanisms and validate novel engineered Treg strategies.
• Ensure reports and appropriate documentation are written to required standards to support assay validation and verification.
• Work independently as well as co-operatively as part of a team to drive projects to key milestones.
• Be responsible for the creation and maintenance of accurate, compliant record keeping, to document all research activities being carried out.
• Supervise or manage lab staff as required
• Reports to Group Leader, Research & Development
• Works closely with other members of Scientific Research & Development team, CMC and Process development team.
Essential Qualifications & Experience
• PhD degree in Immunology, Cell Biology or a closely related discipline with 2+ years post-doctoral or industry experience or Master’s degree with 5+ years of relevant research experience
• Expertise in culture of mammalian cells and primary cells, particularly of murine and human immune cells
• Proficiency in cell-based techniques and functional assays, including flow cytometry, isolation and characterization of cell subpopulations, ELISA/ELISpot, cell proliferation and killing assays
• A good understanding of molecular biology with expertise in extraction and preparation of nucleic acids, PCR, cell transfections and transductions
• Demonstrated creativity and application of innovative strategies to solve scientific problems; ability to interpret, troubleshoot and report complex data
• Excellent project management and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact effectively with internal and external colleagues and collaborators
• Commitment to delivering high quality work against tight deadlines and within a fast-paced environment
• Proven ability to work independently and demonstrate effective time management
• Contribute to a culture that embraces scientific excellence, integrity, urgency, patient centricity and continuous improvement
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Lab-based and applied experience in developing cellular therapies
• Experience in Treg biology and immune tolerance
• Experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry
• Experience in advanced research & development or translational development of cell-based therapies.
• Proven development of cell-based assays to be used for R&D and clinical manufacturing
• Demonstrated understanding and hands-on experience with transplantation and/or autoimmune models, biomarker discovery and relevant state of the art technology platforms
If the role is of interest, please send a C.V. and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org