Computercraft is seeking a biologist with a background in human clinical or animal model phenotype data. The successful candidate will curate clinical phenotype data from the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) database on Genotype and Phenotype (dbGaP), accessible online at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gap. Our scientists work on site at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda, MD, in a production-oriented, rather than research-oriented, environment.
dbGaP was developed to archive and distribute the data and results from studies investigating the interaction of genotype and phenotype in humans to assist scientists in discovering associations between genetic variants and risks for disease. Responsibilities of the dbGaP Phenotypes Curator will include data quality control and curation, annotation and integration of study metadata (study protocols and data collection forms), and communication with external investigators. Candidates require the organizational and managerial skills to see a study through the process of original submission, internal processing, quality testing, and public deployment. This is an opportunity to be involved in the advancement of a high-profile resource that is working to revolutionize human genetic disease research.
• Ph.D. or M.S. in a biomedical field (i.e., epidemiology, genetics, public health, pathology)
• Strong organizational skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work with a team in a production environment
• Strong interest in contributing to the development of public database resources
• Advanced general computing skills
• Linux and Windows experience
Other Desirable Experience:
• Knowledge of human genetics, clinical data, and epidemiology
• Experience with NCBI resources
• Experience with SQL
• Familiarity with UNIX commands, open files, and directory trees
• Experience evaluating incoming phenotype data for accuracy and consistency
• Scripting experience in PERL or related scripting languages
• Programming experience with Linux/UNIX
To apply for this position or learn about other Computercraft job opportunities, please visit the Careers section of our website: https://computercraft-usa.com/
Computercraft offers a competitive salary, an excellent benefits package, and the opportunity for a positive work–life balance with a standard 40-hour work week and the chance to work alongside a team of highly accomplished professionals.
Computercraft is an equal opportunity employer.