CEPI is looking for a Senior Epidemiologist to lead the epidemiology team located in the Vaccine Science department in Oslo, Norway.
If you are interested in joining CEPI and have the appropriate qualifications for this role, please read the detailed job description below.
We want to stop future epidemics by developing new vaccines for a safer world.
Vaccines are one of the world’s most important health achievements. Yet their life-saving potential hasn’t yet been realized for many known and unknown epidemic threats, particularly in low-income countries, where the risks and needs are often greatest.
CEPI was launched at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January 2017, and is a partnership of public, private, philanthropic and civil society organizations established to stimulate, finance and co- ordinate vaccine development for emerging infectious diseases. These diseases have been identified based on WHO’s R&D Blueprint and encompass those for which vaccine development is unlikely to occur through market incentives alone.
To date, CEPI has received funding from Norway, Germany, Japan, Australia, Belgium and Canada, as well as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and Wellcome.
The overall objective of the CEPI Vaccine Science Team is to facilitate accelerated development of CEPI’s vaccine candidate portfolio. This is done through enabling science activities within the areas of epidemiology, biological standardization, preclinical and immunology and strategic science. The team will ensure that scientific advice, innovation on vaccine evaluation and public health needs are integrated with product development and works in close collaboration with the Vaccine Development Team.
The Global Head Epidemiology will report to Director of Vaccine Science. She/he will need to travel and spend time in the field.
- Lead the epidemiology team and ensure coordination of epidemiological studies on CEPI’s priority diseases in affected countries
- Ensure CEPI is provided with timely, reliable and appropriately analyzed epidemiological data on CEPI’s priority diseases to inform ongoing and future vaccine development
- Develop epidemiological research plans, facilitate analysis and presentation of results for review by CEPI’s Scientific Advisory Committee
- Participate in interactions and represent CEPI’s position with regulatory agencies and health authorities, such as FDA, EMA, CDC, Ministries of Health, and WHO, related to epidemiological data and vaccine development
- Manage externally commissioned research projects, which includes establishing, maintaining, and expanding relationships to partner effectively with external experts and research groups to negotiate time frames, resource requirements, and ensure delivery of the results as agreed
- Keep abreast of epidemiological developments within academia, regulatory, and among key opinion leaders
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
We are looking for applicants who:
- Fulfil the following essential criteria:
- Ph.D. in a subject relevant to give insight in epidemiological methods
- Expert level of epidemiologic, regulatory, and leadership skills to develop pathogen specific strategies for epidemiology research to facilitate vaccine development
- Meet the following desirable criteria:
- Field experience in design and/or conduct of epidemiology studies in LMICs
- Proven record of serving as the lead in designing, executing, analyzing and reporting epidemiological studies, preferably also with insight in modelling
- Solid experience in project management with international partners
Ability to efficiently review, evaluate and draft scientific publications and complex technical documents
• Strong planning and tracking skills, able to see big picture, well-organized, focused on results, capable of managing multiple projects, excellent time and self-management
- Show evidence of:
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to work in different cultural environments
- Excellent command / highly proficient in spoken and written English. French is an appreciated asset
- Solid computer literacy with statistical software relevant for epidemiological research, and with standard software packages, e.g. Microsoft Excel, R or Stata
- High level of personal integrity and motivation towards CEPI’s objectives
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- Experience of the international effort to develop vaccines against the world’s top priority outbreak prone infectious diseases
- An exciting job opportunity at a newly established international vaccine development funder and facilitator
- Opportunities for professional development in international research institutions
- Attractive private pension arrangements
- Competitive salary
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in being considered for this position, please send your Curriculum Vitae along with a covering email / letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions about the position, please email email@example.com