We are seeking a Research Technician with experience working with Drosophila and possessing essential molecular biology skills. The Technician will work with considerable independence, but under general supervision, to generate, screen, map, and characterize many new strains of multiple Drosophila species. The Technician will perform multiple routine Drosophila manipulations and will use molecular biology to generate next-generation sequencing libraries to identify insertion sites of new transgenes. The Technician will maintain multiple inter-related databases to track the generation of strains. The successful applicant will be extremely well-organized, goal-oriented, and a team player.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform microscopy to identify Drosophila strains carrying new transgene insertions. Prepare DNA from flies and generate next-generation sequencing libraries to map insertion sites. Prepare flies and DNA materials for injection of new transgenes.
- Verify the quality and accuracy of data. Use multiple software applications to assemble, manipulate, and/or format data.
- Configure and operate laboratory apparatus and instruments; read and record instrument data; tabulate data; keep laboratory records.
- May order chemicals, reagents, and other laboratory supplies.
- Participate in laboratory meetings and planning sessions.
- Maintain Drosophila strains.
- Read literature applicable to research areas as required.
- Perform the duties of a Laboratory Assistant as required.Perform the duties of a Laboratory Assistant as required.
Interactions with Others:
- Organizes projects within workload to ensure goals are met.
- Meets routinely with supervisor.
- Works closely with several outsourcing companies and insourcing groups at Janelia.
- Able to train others in specialized tasks within their own area of expertise.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree in the biological sciences or equivalent in education and related laboratory experience.
- Previous experience handling Drosophila strains, performing genetic crosses, selecting phenotypic markers, and maintaining stocks.
- Previous experience managing complex data sets in multiple software platforms.
Knowledge/Understanding/Skills & Abilities:
- General understanding of Drosophila genetics and genomics.
- Molecular biology manipulations (pipetting small volumes, etc.)
- Ability to draft routine reports and keep accurate records of work performed.
- Actively seeks opportunities to increase skills and expertise.
- Able to learn complex tasks with general instruction. Able to use experience to perform a variety of new techniques
- Occasionally lifts and/or carries objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Occasionally stoops and bends.
- Occasionally reaches and grasps with arms and hands.
- Work involves possible exposure to malodorous vapors, low dose radiation, contamination by toxic chemicals and acids and presence of carcinogenic substances.
- Long periods of standing and/or sitting.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.