Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world. Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S. Visit hhmi.org/careers to learn more about working at HHMI.
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute has an opportunity for an experienced scientist to support the laboratory operations of Dr. William G. Kaelin's research laboratory at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston, MA.
Dr. Kaelin's laboratory pursues molecular oncology research, focusing on the VHL-EglN-HlF-Alpha pathway in renal and breast carcinomas.
Additionally, the Retinoblastoma protein as well as proteins associated with it are actively investigated; both topics employ a wide variety of model systems, including several mouse models.
- Train others in complex technical protocols and proper lab conduct
- Manage day-to-day activities within the research laboratory, including ordering & stocking of supplies and reagents, while making sure adequate supplies are available for routine experimental procedures
- Manage budgets for various grant funding sources ensuring proper balance of expenditures
- Act as liaison between lab and host safety and regulatory offices to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations (act as laboratory’s biological, chemical, and radiation-safety officer)
- Prepare animal experimentation protocols and biosafety protocols for review by the respective committees to ensure that work of the laboratory is covered by all regulations
- Work collaboratively with HHMI and host institution administrative offices on issues such as budget management, capital equipment inventory, purchasing, etc.
- Configure, operate, and maintain specialized equipment
- Perform various specialized scientific investigative procedures in support of assigned research projects
- Conduct literature reviews to be used in determining most suitable research methods
- Identify methodological problems in research protocol and assist in implementing modifications to optimize experimental results
- Prepare and present written and oral reports concerning studies, including assembly, organizational and interpretation of data
- D. in a science field preferred, MS degree required
- Significant experience in laboratory research, preferably in the molecular biological sciences
- Demonstrated experience with budget management, laboratory organization and maintenance
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
HHMI is an EOE