For 60 years, HHMI has been moving science forward. We’re an independent, ever-evolving philanthropy that supports basic biomedical scientists and science educators with the potential for transformative impact. We invest in people, not projects. We encourage collaborative and results-driven working styles and offer an adaptable environment where employees can function at their highest level. As HHMI scientists continue to push boundaries in laboratories and classrooms, you can be sure that your contributions while working at HHMI are making a difference.
We are looking for a dynamic HR Business Partner (HRBP) to join our People and Culture team. This role will support Investigators and their labs throughout CA, OR, WA and TX. The ability to travel to assigned HHMI sites is a must.
This hands-on role will collaborate with People and Culture centers of excellence at HHMI headquarters in Chevy Chase, MD to ensure all People and Culture strategic initiatives and services are delivered with great customer service, in a timely manner, and in accordance with HHMI’s policies.
The position can be based at any of our Science Operations Offices in California: San Francisco, Stanford, Pasadena, and San Diego.
- Serve as thought partner to assigned laboratories on all matters related to the HHMI workforce.
- Monitor People and Culture services and transactions delivered by People Services staff to designated client groups for quality and adherence to policy and standards. Coach and train as necessary on new services.
- Participate in recruitment and selection activities for assigned client groups.
- Provide guidance to managers on compensation actions, including promotions, equity adjustments, and annual salary planning process.
- Disseminate and implement People and Culture related policies and procedures to designated client groups.
- Responsible for resolution of escalated employee relations issues, including workplace investigations.
- Manage employee communication regarding lab openings, position eliminations, and other organizational restructurings, including distribution of severance agreements to eligible employees.
- Coach managers on performance management matters including performance goals, individual development plans, as well as manage performance improvement plans.
- Work collaboratively with managers and Learning and Organizational Development to identify training needs for designated client groups.
- Maintain up to date and in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to designated client groups to reduce legal risks and ensure regulatory compliance. Partner with the Office of General Counsel as needed.
- Monitor and communicate status of employee leaves working with HHMI’s leave administrator. Manage employee reasonable accommodation requests.
- Work collaboratively with other HRBPs across the organization to drive process standardization and a culture of knowledge sharing across function. Providing backup and assistance as needed.
- Conduct exit interviews. Monitor and analyze turnover and report on themes.
- Act as employee champion and business change agent.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources, Business Management, or other related field. Master’s degree or MBA preferred.
- SHRM-SCP or SPHR certification preferred.
- Seven to ten years of experience in an HR Business Partner / Generalist role.
- Demonstrated experience working with Microsoft Office Suite, HRIS, time keeping, and applicant tracking systems.
Skills and Abilities:
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills with proven ability to organize and analyze data, using HRIS systems for reporting.
- Enthusiastic team player with a strong drive to create a positive work environment.
- Strong customer service focus and outstanding interpersonal skills.
- The ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously – oriented on results.
- Proven project management and operations skills with demonstrated ability to manage Institute wide projects and initiatives.
- Ability to listen and to persuasively convey ideas and recommendations; keen awareness of, and sensitivity to maintaining confidentiality across all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work with employees at all levels and from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Dedicated to developing strong, trusting relationships with clients and colleagues across HHMI.