HHMI is widely recognized as the world’s foremost medical research organization and a leading light in science education. We have achieved this leadership role by aligning our mission with our vision, capitalizing on change, encouraging risk taking, and fostering innovation. At the root of our work is the belief that significant advances in science are made possible when exceptionally talented researchers are given the time and freedom to pursue their interests and challenging, long-range questions.
At HHMI, you are not just an employee – you are a part of a creative and talented team with colleagues whose expertise ranges from biomedical research to investment management, from information technology to law. Together, we are working toward a common goal – advancing biomedical research and promoting science education.
The Payroll Operations Administrator is a key member of the Payroll Department and is responsible for the day to day payroll operations and accuracy of the payroll system data to deliver the organization’s payroll. In this role, you will assess, recommend and implement system improvements, test in multiple environments with focus on Workday, document processes and perform special projects that require in-depth analysis. You will be a subject matter expert and backup the Payroll Operations Systems Analyst and other staff as needed.
Requirements & Responsibilities
- Become a Workday Financials expert with knowledge of design, configuration, testing and implementation.
- Test new functional system enhancements, system updates and integrations. Identify and participate in process improvement projects, including various implementation and upgrades.
- Serve as operations point-of-contact for payroll system(s) including Timekeeping, Glacier and Workday functionality and assist with testing of system changes, report writing, and analyzing data flows for process improvement opportunities.
- Ensure that systems and processes correctly compute and record time, earnings, employee benefits, special deductions, mandated benefits, taxes, garnishments and other items that affect net pay and/or company liability.
- Apply strategic thinking to eliminate manual processes and reduce overall processing time.
- Demonstrate curiosity about the way things work and highlight areas of opportunity and continuous improvement.
- Represent HHMI’s interest within the Workday community and stay on top of functionality changes and weekly service updates.
- Assist with internal and external Payroll audit.
- Create and maintain system training plans and materials for administrators and end users.
- Oversee the year-end payroll process resulting in the issuance of employee annual W-2s.
- Ensure third party vendor is compliant and timely with all tax filings and employee remittances.
- Monitor changes in the law which impact payroll practices, policies and procedures.
- Oversee execution of the day-to-day processing of payroll, which will include reviewing data used in payroll process, review of time transactions, running payroll, audit payroll results, correcting errors, and payroll remittances. Responsible for weekly meeting with ADP for tax payments and issue resolution.
- Analyze payroll data and reports to ensure efficient, effective, compliant processing of payroll, taxes and garnishments.
- Resolve complex payroll questions/problems for employees and business units.
- Serve as the payroll department’s subject matter expert for all items related to payroll in the Workday system, including downstream impacts of payroll results to third parties.
- Partner with Business Systems, Compensation, Benefits and People Services to provide system requirements to ensure payroll changes resulting from enhancements, Workday releases, and other changes are thoroughly tested.
- Develops, maintains, updates and communicates organization-wide payroll policies and processes regarding earnings, deductions, time keeping and government compliance reporting.
- Serve as payroll contact for complex foreign national population’s questions.
- Demonstrated working knowledge in Workday payroll system.
- Minimum 5 to 7 years hands-on Payroll experience in high-volume, automated environment.
- APA certification preferred.
- Workday and Glacier experience preferred.
- ADP, Tax and Foreign Nationals experience required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Computer Science or a related field.
- In-depth knowledge of payroll business processes.
- Experience analyzing complex HR/Payroll processes and configuring associated enabling functionality.
- Experience working with technology development teams.
- A successful track record of managing multiple urgent priority issues concurrently.
- Ability to communicate clearly, in writing and in verbal presentations, to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to create and assimilate business process documentation.
- Experience supporting system testing and/or validation activities.