ABOUT THE POSITION:
The University of Miami Miller School of Medicine’s Department of Human Genetics has an exciting career opportunity for a Senior Medical Technologist. This position performs microbiological, molecular biological, and immunological tests on body specimens to provide data for use in treatment and diagnosis of disease. Moreo ver, the Senior Medical Technologist facilitates quality assurance and instrument maintenance.
The duties and responsibilities for this position may include, but are not limited to:
Verifying identification of specimen with physician’s orders, preparing specimens for testing, and handling all specimens in a safe and careful manner.
- Verifying identification of specimen with physician’s orders, preparing specimens for testing, and handling all specimens in a safe and careful manner.
- Analyzing results of testing and interpreting abnormal or unusual results.
- Researching and preparing all pertinent patient data and referring all data and testing to pathologists for evaluation and sign-out.
- Calibrating equipment, ordering supplies, and maintaining inventory of relevant forms and materials.
- Recogniz ing test inconsistencies and taking appropriate corrective action and supporting laboratory co-workers in resolution of similar issues.
- Administering quality-control tests, according to procedure, and maintaining appropriate data recording.
- Assuming lead duties and acting as a resource to staff.
- Orienting and training employees on laboratory techniques and operations.
- Adhering to the University of Miami and department policies and procedures and safeguarding University assets.
Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Technology or a biological science discipline.Possess a current/valid Florida State Medical Technologist License in the area(s) of practice. Three (3) years of work experience related to the stated job duties and responsibilities. Skilled in completing assignments accurately while paying close attention to detail. Ability to analyze, organize, and prioritize work while under pressure and successfully meeting deadlines. Ability to process and handle confidential information with discretion. Ability and willingness to work evenings, nights, and weekends as necessary.Any
relevant education, certifications and/or work experience may be considered.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida’s only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We’re the challenge you’ve been looking for. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information-https://www.hr.miami.edu/careers/employment-laws-eo/index.htmlPatient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza (“the flu”) season (September through April), the University of Miami School of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.