Ref.12.18.69 - Research Fellow - High Resolution Microscopy of Graphene
Employer: International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory (INL)
Location: Braga, Portugal
Department: Advanced Electron Microscopy, Imaging and Spectroscopy
Group/Unit: Atomic Structure and Composition of Materials
Job Type: Full time
Contract Duration: 12 months
Closing Date: 10th January 2019 (23h00) Lisbon Time
Salary: Competitive package and benefits
INL is seeking a highly qualified and experienced postdoc in the area of transmission electron microscopy to work in the characterization of graphene and graphene-based materials. The work is part of the consortium project GNESIS- Graphenest’s New Engineered System and its Implementation Solutions, funded by FEDER under project no.033566, operation code POCI-01-0247-FEDER-033566. The GNESIS project aims to demonstrate at a pre-industrial scale the innovative technology developed by Graphenest, based on a graphite exfoliation method in liquid phase using ultrasonic cavitation. The demonstration of applicability of the graphene-based materials obtained from the referred technology should be made in different application areas, one of them being graphene conductive inks that can be used in tactile screen electrodes.
The current position profile requires a highly skilled researcher, product oriented, to develop the ink and with it print a tactile screen electrode, according to a layout supplied by the second industrial partner of the project, who is a player in the display market.
Job Role & Key Responsibilities
The successful candidate will characterize graphene or graphene based samples using a conventional JEOL 2100 TEM/STEM equipped with EDS and a FEI Titan 200 kV Themis equipped with probe and image correctors, Dual EELS, Monochromator, EDS, Tomography and in-situ heating capabilities.
Applicants should meet the following requirements:
- PhD Degree in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Engineering or any other relevant fields;
- Experience with TEM and STEM imaging techniques. These include, phase contrast TEM, diffraction contrast TEM, high angular annular dark field (HAADF) STEM and and bright-field (BF) STEM;
- Experience with electron diffraction techniques;
- Experience with Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy (EDS);
- Experience with Electron Energy Loss Spectroscopy (EELS);
- Experience with In-Situ TEM/STEM microscopy;
- Experience with image processing and standard software for electron microscopy;
- Experience with sample preparation of materials.
- Strong motivation to work both independently and as part of a team in an interdisciplinary environment, with the ability to pay close attention to detail and to meet deadlines;
- A good track record of disseminating research results;
- Experience in carrying out research in collaboration with industry is highly valued.
- English is the working language of INL. Therefore, excellent communication skills in English are required.
What we offer
- Employment contract and competitive compensation package;
- Employees will also benefit of the various social facilities available at INL;
- International and highly competitive environment in contact with leading edge technology.
How to Apply
International candidates are welcome to apply. Only applications in English will be accepted. The application is made online. Please click on the 'Apply' button;
Interested applicants should submit a motivation letter, a full curriculum vitae and University certificates. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If your application is successful and you accept our offer of employment, you will receive the employment agreement and all other relevant documents. If you are relocating, you will be given assistance by the HR Office.
If Your Application is Not Successful
We highly value the interest shown from applicants wishing to become a part of the INL experience. It is important for us to maintain good communications with candidates. No matter the outcome of the application, we always send the applicant an answer.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Principle
INL is an equal opportunity organization, committed to providing equal career opportunities and firmly adheres to a principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issues.
Enquiries should be made to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The advertisement deadline may be extended at any time without previous notice in order to improve the suitability and effectiveness of the recruitment process.