We are currently recruiting a research fellow who will join the laboratory of Prof Peter Török at Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine (LKC medicine), a joint medical school between Imperial College London and Nanyang Technological University (NTU).
We seeking to appoint a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in optical (confocal) microscopy. LKC have a number of PIs who carry out state of the art research into various aspects of biomedical sciences (e.g. optogenetics of brain, Alzheimer’s disease, zebrafish neurological function). A common need for these researchers is bespoke instrumentation, including various flavours of home-built advanced optical microscopy (confocal, two-photon, holographic, light sheet, SPIM, etc). We seek to appoint a suitably experienced Research Fellow who will be in charge of designing, building and delivering these microscopes.
The successful candidate will:
• Co-lead with PI research and engineering efforts into designing, building and delivering bespoke optical microscopes.
• Adapt shareware (e.g. Scanimage) or program from scratch data acquisition and instrument control software
• Independently, or with the PI’s help, design or adapt parts of off-the-shelf advanced optical microscopes including optomechanical and optical parts
• Design or specify the purchase of off-the-shelf system electronics for the microscopes
Skills and qualifications:
• PhD or equivalent experience in optics, photonics, physics, electrical engineering or related field.
• Experience in design, optimisation, building, prototyping and testing of optical microscopes is essential
• Experience with electronics design and/or use is preferred
• Experience with various types of scanners (MEMS, galvo, etc) is essential
• Knowledge of optical design programs (Zemax, Code V) and 3D design programs (SolidWorks, Autocad) is preferred
• Programming knowledge is essential. Experience in C++, Phython, Matlab and/or Java is strongly desirable.
• Strong command of English (written and spoken) is essential