Ref.12.18.70 – Research Fellow - Plasmonic Biosensing with Graphene
Type of contract: Limited duration
Research Centre: International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL
Number of vacancies: 1
Duty Station: Braga, Portugal
Career Stage: Up to 3 years after PhD
Open date for applications: December 7th
Closing Date for applications: January 7th 2019, 23:00 Lisbon Time
The International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL (http://www.inl.int), was founded under an international legal framework to perform interdisciplinary research and to deploy and articulate nanotechnology for the benefit of society. INL aims to become the world-wide hub for nanotechnology addressing society’s grand challenges in Aging & Wellbeing and Mobility & Urban Living and developing a Safe & Secure Society.
This call is related to the Scientific Research and Technological Development Projects identified hereunder, which are cofunded by European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and National Funds through the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT).
Project specifications: INL participates in the following Scientific Research: 2D Materials and Devices Group
(a) Name of the project: GRAPHSENS - Mid- and far-infrared plasmonic biosensing with graphene
(b) Reference number: POCI-01-0145-FEDER-028114
(c) Scientific Area: Physical Sciences and Nanotechnology
(d)Description: The main goal of the project is to explore plasmons in graphene for applications in a new spectroscopic technique covering the THz and the mid-IR range. These applications will take advantage of controlled excitation of surface plasmons in graphene to detect spectral signals from molecules near the graphene surface, to implement polarization-dependent spectroscopic plasmonics, and to investigate the resulting enhancement of the detection limits. The position profile, requires therefore a highly skilled researcher with combined experience in clean-room fabrication and use of microfluidics in biosensing applications.
Description of the functions and key primary responsibilities:
The successful candidate will work in the 2D Materials and Devices Group in the department of Quantum and Energy Materials. She/he will be assigned the following working plan:
- Clean-room fabrication of graphene grids and gratings, made of contrasting dielectric materials embedded in IR-transparent Si substrates, onto which single-layer graphene crystals grown by CVD will be transferred.
- Fabrication and operation of the microfluidic system that controllably handles and delivers organic or biological molecules, as required for the device operation. In particular, biomolecules, such as short peptides, small proteins, or antibodies, will need to be delivered to the sensing area, for detection either in a flow mode or upon surface immobilization.
Specific Eligibility Conditions:
Candidates must meet the following conditions, as they are required by the nature of the duties the candidate will be required to perform:
- Ph.D. in one of the following or related areas: Physical or Analytical Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Engineering Physics, Biophysics, Nanotechnology;
- Experience in device design and cleanroom microfabrication is required;
- Experience with microfluidic systems for biosensing platforms is required;
- Experience with graphene and 2D materials research is preferred;
- Fluency in English is required.
The call describes the requirements in terms of qualifications and professional experience deemed appropriate for the position. If a candidate has additional qualifications and professional experience, they can only be recruited at the job category and profile specified.
Applications that not meet these conditions will not be considered.
The work plan will be developed at the INL under the scientific guidance of Dr. Pedro Alpuim and Dr. Dmitri Petrovykh. The successful candidate will be integrated in the 2D Materials and Devices Group.
The selection of candidates will be carried out by a Selection Committee consisting of the following persons:
1) Dr. Pedro Alpuim
2) Dr. Dmitri Petrovykh
3) Dr. Jérôme Borme
4) Patrícia Oliveira
Duration of the contract:
The total duration of the employment contract shall be 18 months and may be renewed based on the performance of the individual. In any case the contract cannot exceed the duration of the project. The expected starting date is January 2019.
General Eligibility conditions, required qualifications and expertise:
Candidates must comply with the following requirements:
- Hold a PhD Degree within the field of the selected vacancy;
- Be a Portuguese citizen, a European Union citizen or a non-European Union Citizen with a scientific and professional curriculum that demonstrates an appropriate profile for the activity to be performed;
- Fluency in English is required.
Candidates must enclose the following supporting documents in pdf format, failing which the application will not be considered:
(a) Cover letter in English;
(b) Curriculum Vitae in English;
(c) Official transcripts of all relevant academic degrees;
(d) At least one recommendation letter.
The evaluation process will follow a three-stage process:
1. Candidate eligibility check
Only full applications will be considered. The applicant will be responsible for the data submission and validation. The application language is English.
Applications that do not meet the eligibility conditions will not be considered.
2. Assessment of the Research Experience of the Candidate
The selection of candidates shall be made by means of an assessment of the research experience within the framework of the Project, which shall focus on the relevance, quality and up-to-date of the following items:
- Scientific and Technological Production (‘STP’);
- Applied and Practice-based Research Activities (‘RA’);
- Activities related to the Dissemination of Knowledge (‘DK’);
- Activities related to the Management of Science, Technology and Innovation programmes (‘MSTI’)
The research experience will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- STP (65%): Academic Qualifications (AQ) – 10%; Research Quality (RQ) – 40%; Impact and Efectiveness (IE) – 15%;
- RA (15%): Research Coordination (RC) – 5%; Development, operation and maintenance of core facilities “instrumentation and/or equipment” (DOM) – 2%; organisation of conferences, symposia and scientific cooperation activities (OCSS) - 2 %; teaching activities “advanced courses or university” (TA) – 3%; research stays and internships (RSI) – 3%;
- DK (5%): Transfer to other areas of society (TS) – 3%; promotion of the public understanding of science (PPUS) – 2%;
- MSTI (5%): Development of Laboratory facilities, management of research groups (DFMG) – 3%; evaluation of STI activities (EA) – 2%.
This criteria will have a total valuation of 90%. The minimum threshold for this stage is 65%.
The top four ranked candidates will be shortlisted for interview, provided however that they pass the threshold mentioned above.
Interviews will be conducted through web conference or face-to-face meetings, as may be deemed appropriate. This criterion will have a total valuation of 10%.
The Selection Committee will draw up the minutes of the R&S process in which candidates will be ranked according to their evaluation scores.
Approval and formal offer:
Successful applicants will be offered the corresponding positions.
How to apply:
The application is made online. Please click on the 'Apply for this job' button.
For the application to be valid, the candidate must complete all required sections of the online application form as well as submit all required documents.
What we offer:
- Social Security costs to be paid by INL;
- Work Accidents insurance costs to be paid by INL, to provide coverage for work accidents and invalidity benefits;
- Health insurance with excellent coverage;
- Tax Benefit: The personnel working at the International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory are exempt from national income taxes so the only deduction from their part of the salary will be 11 % for social security and 12% for an internal tax;
- A family allowance of 160€/month for staff members that are married or that are living under the status of “common-law couple” and/or have any dependent child;
- A child allowance of 200€/month for each dependent child;
- Free Nursery Service at INL campus (subject to availability);
- Support for Education fees of dependent children;
- Depending on the place of residence, INL covers 100% of travel expenses for all family members.
INL offers an attractive financial package appropriate to an international research organization composed by a gross monthly Remuneration of 2600.00€ paid in 12 installments. Due to INL special legal status as intergovernmental organization, financial benefits are exempt for national income tax. Apart from the salary, INL may offer, depending on the personal situation, additional allowances and benefits for families and non-residents.
Applicable legal and regulatory framework, taking into consideration the international status of the Organisation:
The contract will be subject to the INL’s Staff Rules, as amended from time to time, as well as to all other relevant instructions issued by the Organisation. For this purpose, a copy of the Staff Rules shall be provided. The contract may also be supplemented by the terms and conditions of the Financing Contract between the Organisation and the FCT governing the implementation of the FCT Project.
Disputes between the Organisation and the Employed Member of the Personnel shall be settled in accordance with the INL´s Staff Rules.
Notification of results:
Each candidate will be notified via email of the result of their individual application. If the first candidate refuses the offer, the Human Resources will send an offer to the second candidate on the ranking, and so on until the vacancy is filled.
We highly value the interest shown from applicants wishing to become a part of the INL experience. It is important for us to maintain good communications with candidates. No matter the outcome of the application, we always send the applicant an answer.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Principle:
INL promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of any duties based on their ancestry, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, family and economic conditions, instruction, origin or social conditions, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, origin territory, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
Applicants can receive support regarding applications to this positions via e-mail: email@example.com