The Department of Bio and Health Informatics at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU Bioinformatics) has its main research and teaching activities in bio-medical and bio-technological informatics, metagenomics, epidemiology, integrative systems biology and machine learning. The research at DTU Bioinformatics is focused on bioinformatics and computational analyses of large amounts of data generated within biological, biomedical and biotechnological and life sciences area. We strive to gain new knowledge and drive innovation in human, animal, plant and food science and collaborate with all relevant industries. A cornerstone in achieving this is the dedicated effort within DTU Bioinformatics to develop bioinformatics, immuno-informatics, metagenomics and systems biology methods and solutions to the challenge of handling and interpreting large scale and heterogeneous big data. We run projects combining big data and laboratory research via the national supercomputing center (Computerome) and molecular genomics laboratories.
The department is seeking an Assistant or Associate Professor.
Responsibilities and tasks
The position will be placed within DTU Bioinformatics and the candidate is expected to join one of the existing research groups.
- You will contribute to the promotion, development and improvement of research and education within the field of bioinformatics
- You will be responsible for designing, coordinating and implementing a course within your given field of expertise
- You will actively develop and run research projects or programs and seek external funding from national, EU and international funding bodies
- You will engage in supervision and/or co-supervision of MSc and PhD students
- Your work will include dissemination of research results at all levels including publications in high impact journals
- You will be responsible for establishing and strengthening the collaboration with national and international groups working in the above areas
- You will engage in continued interaction with peers from relevant departments and centers at DTU and from other national and international research groups
Candidates for an
- Assistant professorship: You hold a PhD degree in one or more of the following areas: bioinformatics, biology, engineering, computer science or related field, and have extensive experience doing research within bioinformatics (e.g., 3-5 years as a postdoctoral researcher or similar).
- Associate professorship: In addition to the above, you hold academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding an assistant professorship and documented didactic/pedagogic training
Moreover, the successful candidate is expected to be able to contribute in an interdisciplinary set-up including research groups within personalized medicine, disease systems biology, microbiome research, molecular evolution, and immunoinformatics.
The successful candidate will moreover exhibit the following professional and personal qualifications:
- DTU Bioinformatics has a strong emphasis on doing interdisciplinary research, i.e. the research is placed in the intersection between computer science, math and biology, therefore a strong understanding of biology and biological systems is necessary
- Interest in contributing to projects across research groups
- A strong profile within Bioinformatics, with a clear vision for research and teaching
- Solid understanding of biology and potentially complex diseases and/or microbiome analysis
- Experience with development and application of bioinformatics tools for the analysis of large biological data sets
- Capability of working in a Unix/Linux environment and fluency in at least one programming language (E.g. Perl, Python or R). Previous experience working in an HPC environment would be valued positively
- Demonstrable experience with the integration of multi-omics data. Knowledge of NGS and Systems Biology analysis methodologies constitutes a selective advantage
- Experience with teaching at BSc and/or MSc level in relevant disciplines
- Capability of taking personal responsibility for your work and your results
- Flexibility and a generally positive attitude to working in a dynamic research environment
- Motivation by both individual and team accomplishments
- Strong communication skills in both written and verbal English at a professional level
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
The assistant professor position is a permanent entry-level faculty position. After a maximum of 4 years, an assistant professor can be promoted to an associate professor position after assessment. More information can be found here: Career paths at DTU.
Further information may be obtained from Professor Anders Gorm Pedersen,
Please submit your online application no later than 21 December 2018 (local time).
Apply at www.career.dtu.dk
To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form. The following must be attached in English:
- Application (cover letter)
- Teaching and research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- A short document (max 3 pages) describing your 5-year plans and visions for research and teaching
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications (applicants applying for the position as associate professor should indicate scientific highlights)
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
In the field “Please indicate which position you are applying for”, please indicate whether you are applying for the position as Associate or Assistant Professor.
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
From January 2019, DTU Bioinformatics will cease to exist in its present form, and become part of a new department for Health Technology. With approximately 300 researchers from various departments, DTU Health Technology will be able to offer optimal conditions and facilities for health technology research. The aim is to become an international-class research platform capable of fostering new technology and new solutions that can improve the quality of patient care and public health and well-being.
For further information on the reorganization, please see our website
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. Our staff of 6,000 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society, and our 11,200 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government and public agencies.