About the team/job
We are looking for a Grants Officer to join us at the European Molecular Biology Laboratory in Heidelberg, Germany. Our Grants Services Team assists scientists in procuring funding for research projects from a variety of external sources.
The postholder will be employed in the Grants Services Section and will report directly to the Head of Grants Services.The post holder will have a broad range of responsibilities concerning EMBL's external research funding which will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Looking after the grants needs of a group of EMBL scientists
- Ensuring deadlines at every stage of the grant process are met
- Ensuring that grant applications comply with EMBL internal rules and funding body guidelines
- Liaising with grant-giving bodies
- Informing the scientists and other administrators about funding opportunities, eligibility, procedures and deadlines
- Supporting the scientists in developing applications - particularly in the Personnel and Administrative sections
- Liaising with administrative colleagues in scientific units and outstations
- Routine office duties such as the input of database information, dealing with correspondence, maintenance grant-related intranet information, maintenance of funders’ information and rules, especially as these affect EMBL.
The job holder will also be expected to cover for colleagues during absences and to keep themselves informed about the terms and conditions of a wide range of different grant-giving bodies.
Ideally, the post holder has worked in an organization of size comparable to the EMBL and should have some grants administration experience. The successful applicant will be computer literate and have good working knowledge of Excel, Word and Outlook. The abilities to work within a team and to tight deadlines, to manage a wide workload and use initiative are essential.
The candidate should be educated to degree level, and preferably to PhD in a science related subject, and should be fluent in one of English or German and proficient in the other.
You might also have
Knowledge of Research Information Systems and SAP would be an advantage.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. Remuneration comprises a competitive tax free salary and benefits from the German Social Security Scheme.
What else do I need to know
We are innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1600 employees from many nations, operating across six sites: in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
As part of EMBL’s mission, Administration provides services to all personnel members across six sites in order to promote molecular biology across Europe, and to create a centre of excellence for leading young molecular biologists. Administrative positions are connected to but not dependent on scientific work and knowledge. Thus, we aim to establish a dynamic and collaborative working environment across the whole of EMBL to uncover the most of our employees’ potential. Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.