Ref. 12.18.25/1 - Research Fellow – Condensed Matter Physics of 2D Materials
Employer: International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory (INL)
Location: Braga, Portugal
Department: Quantum Materials, Science and Technology
Group/Unit: Electrodynamics of 2D Materials
Job Type: Full time
Contract Duration: 3 years
Closing Date: 5th January 2019 (23h00) Lisbon Time
Salary: Competitive package and benefits
INL is seeking a qualified Post-doctoral Research Fellow, a theoretical condensed matter physicist with deep knowledge on condensed matter physics of 2D materials.
Job Role & Key Responsibilities
As a Research Fellow in Condensed Matter Physics of 2D Materials you will take on a key role within the following responsibilities:
- Carry out competitive research in the Department of Quantum Materials, Science and Technology, in the group of Electrodynamics of 2D Materials;
- Participate in international conferences for dissemination of the scientific work done in the group of Electrodynamics of 2D Materials;
- Participate actively in the organization of scientific events organized by the Department of Quantum Materials, Science and Technology;
- Participate actively in outreach activities conducted by the group of Electrodynamics of 2D materials;
- Supervise Master students and give support in the supervision of PhD. Students;
Applicants should meet the majority of the following requirements:
- PhD degree in Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics (mandatory);
- Previous post-doctoral experience in Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics;
- Expertise in atomistic calculations of electronic and magnetic properties of low-dimensional systems, including Green Function methods and real-space recursion techniques;
- Expertise in numerical methods for solving electronic problems with strong disorder;
- Expertise in many-body perturbation theory, renormalization group methods, equation of motion techniques, and non-perturbative methods applied to both spin and charge dynamics in low-dimensional systems;
- Experience in numerical methods for large-scale linear algebra problems, solution of large non-linear systems, and multi-dimensional integration;
- Experience with parallel programming, both in shared memory and distributed memory architectures;
- Deep interest in light matter interactions involving both charge and spin degrees of freedom;
- Proven publication track record in top notch scientific journals.
If the applicant does not have a PhD degree in theoretical condensed matter physics then is asked to not apply for this position as the lack of such degree implies his/her immediate exclusion.
- Strong motivation to work both independently and as part of a team in an interdisciplinary environment, with the ability to pay close attention to detail and to meet deadlines;
- A good track record of disseminating research results.
- English is the working language of INL. Therefore, excellent communication skills in English are required.
What we offer
- Employment contract and competitive compensation package;
- Employees will also benefit of the various social facilities available at INL;
- International and highly competitive environment in contact with leading edge technology.
How to Apply
International candidates are welcome to apply. Only applications in English will be accepted. The application is made online. Please click on the 'Apply' button;
Interested applicants should submit a motivation letter, a full curriculum vitae and University certificates. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If your application is successful and you accept our offer of employment, you will receive the employment agreement and all other relevant documents. If you are relocating, you will be given assistance by the HR Office.
If Your Application is Not Successful
We highly value the interest shown from applicants wishing to become a part of the INL experience. It is important for us to maintain good communications with candidates. No matter the outcome of the application, we always send the applicant an answer.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Principle
INL is an equal opportunity organization, committed to providing equal career opportunities and firmly adheres to a principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issues.
Enquiries should be made to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The advertisement deadline may be extended at any time without previous notice in order to improve the suitability and effectiveness of the recruitment process.