Scientific / postdoctoral posts
The Helmholtz Centre Potsdam – GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences is the national research centre for Earth sciences in Germany. With approx. 1260 employees (including visiting scientist), the GFZ is conducting interdisciplinary research on the “System Earth” and the influence of humans on the planet. As a member of the Helmholtz Association, it is part of Germany’s largest science organization. For Section 1.1 Geodätische Weltraumverfahren we invite applications for a
Job Vacancy No. 1942The open position in the field of neotectonics aims to connect geodetic observing and processing techniques with geodynamic interpretations and aims to depths thematic links between geodesy and geophysics. The investigations will be focused on the GFZ observatories in Chile and in the Near East.
- observation, analysis, and interpretation of recent motions and deformations of Earth’s crust using GNSS and combination of outcomes with results provided by other disciplines and observation techniques
- developing processing and interpretation methods in the field of recent crustal motion by combining existing methods and novel concepts
- strengthen the connection between geodesy and geophysics at GFZ by contributing to joint campaigns and by initializing dedicated projects
- installation, operation and maintenance of GNSS stations in GFZ observatories (e.g., in Israel, Jordan and Chile) as well as participation in monitoring campaigns
- Master's degree and preferably PhD degree in geodesy or equivalent
- knowledge of geodynamical processes and investigation methods
- experience in GNSS processing using scientific software packages
- experience in using Unix/Linux OS environments, preferably Shell/Perl programming skills
- very good English skills, fluent in spoken and written form
- skills to contribute to a multi-disciplinary and international team with the appropriate communicative competence
- willingness to contribute to field work and maintenance activities both in and outside Germany
- high motivation and ability to work independently
Starting date: 1st April 2019
Fixed term: 3 years
Salary: The pay scale grouping will be according to pay group 13 TVöD-Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost) provided that all tariff related and personal requirements are met.
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
Location: Potsdam You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam und Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.Please submit your application by 13th January 2019.Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878.