Native Mass Spectrometry Scientist
OMass Therapeutics specializes in applying state-of-the-art native mass spectrometry platforms to characterizing challenging protein assemblies, including membrane proteins. By preserving the structures of protein assemblies we provide novel structural insights into large, dynamic complexes. The company vision is to build a drug discovery company with these technologies at its core.
OMass Therapeutics is inviting applications for the position of native mass spectrometrist, focussed on developing new platforms for drug discovery. This is an exciting opportunity to undertake an extremely dynamic and diverse role within a new biotechnology spin-out company from the University of Oxford and laboratory of Prof Carol Robinson. The company offers a thriving and creative environment for a well-suited candidate to be exposed to drug discovery and development processes and state-of-the-art technology developments. You will acquire extensive knowledge of the company’s operations and become an integral part of our future vision.
At OMass you will join a team of enthusiastic and dynamic scientists with a shared passion for building a world-leading drug discovery company using an exciting and powerful set of technologies. Following a recent successful fund-raising exercise, the company is expanding significantly in different areas and currently in the process of moving to a new building at the Oxford Science Park. This is an excellent time to join a growing company.
The successful candidate will possess previous experience in the applications of mass spectrometry, using native MS based methods for understating protein interactions. You will be responsible for developing native MS platforms for the analysis of membrane proteins and optimising them for a range of challenging drug targets. Experience of molecular biology, protein expression/purification is advantageous. The role is exclusively research based and as such, the ability to problem solve and develop innovative solutions within projects is a key attribute required for the role.
Applications to be received by 11th January 2018
- Proven experience at post-doctoral level in native mass spectrometry, preferably on orbitrap or QTOF based platforms.
- Hold a doctorate degree in chemistry, biochemistry or other life sciences
- Experience with handling protein samples, preferably membrane proteins; some experience with protein expression and purification are preferred but not essential
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Develop native MS platforms for the analysis of purified membrane protein samples
- Work with the protein purification team to develop and optimise sample conditions and buffers to obtain suitably homogeneous spectra
- Work with the medicinal chemistry and pharmacology groups to design, implement and carry out bespoke native MS assays as well as assign and interpret the data as part of the drug discovery project team
- Work closely with scientists within fields of biology to develop solutions and exploratory ideas which achieve and strengthen the company’s vision and intellectual property position
- Remain up-to-date with the state-of-the-art of the field and maintain detailed laboratory records
Applicants should provide a full CV with a list of their publications to date, contact details for 2 referees and a cover letter describing their compatibility with position required.
OMass Therapeutics values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity, we also have full responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to work and live in UK. All applications should be sent to email@example.com
Job Type: Full-time