Cell Press is looking to expand the team of scientific editors working on iScience, an exciting broad scope open access journal publishing in the life and physical sciences.
We are seeking to add 5 dynamic and enthusiastic scientific editors who share our passion for helping scientists publish their work in a straightforward and timely way.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Assess submitted research papers
- Oversee the peer review process for direct submissions and transferred contributions
- Establish relationships with researchers
- Recruit exciting research papers for submission to iScience
- Commission review content
- Represent the journal and Cell Press at scientific meetings, and visit research institutions
- Work collaboratively with academic editorial board members and editors
- Build effective working relationships with colleagues across Cell Press and beyond
These are full-time in-house editorial positions. They can be based in our main office in Cambridge, MA, USA, or in Oxford/London, UK, Beijing, China, or Amsterdam, Netherlands.
What you should bring:
- PhD in a life or physical science discipline. We are particularly interested in candidates with expertise in microbiology, immunology, materials science, optics/photonics, biotechnology, genetics, ecology & evolution, and sustainability, but we are open to scientists with backgrounds in any area that the journal covers.
- Previous editorial experience is desirable, but not required. We are open to hiring at more senior levels than Assistant Editor for candidates with appropriate experience.
- Applicants with a professional background such as running a research group or working in industry are also encouraged.
- Broad scientific interests, a desire to learn, and the ability to think critically about a wide range of scientific issues. As a scientific editor, you will need to develop an understanding of the diverse areas covered by the journal, as well as be open to exciting emerging topics.
- Great interpersonal skills. Collaboration and networking are core aspects of the job.
- Strong ability to communicate clearly.
- Strong ability to organize, prioritize, and focus.
- Creativity, willingness to experiment, and desire to improve.
- The ability to work well in a team.
What we offer:
Cell Press offers an attractive salary and benefits package and a stimulating working environment that encourages innovation. Applications will be held in the strictest of confidence.
We will consider applications on a rolling basis until January 15, 2019. To apply, please include your resume plus a cover letter describing why you are interested in this role.
Elsevier is a global information analytics business that helps institutions and professionals progress science, advance healthcare and improve performance for the benefit of humanity. We help researchers make new discoveries, collaborate with their colleagues, and give them the knowledge they need to find funding. We help governments and universities evaluate and improve their research strategies. We help doctors save lives, providing insight for physicians to find the right clinical answers, and we support nurses and other healthcare professionals throughout their careers.
Elsevier provides digital solutions and tools in the areas of strategic research management, R&D performance, clinical decision support, and professional education; including ScienceDirect, Scopus, SciVal, ClinicalKey and Sherpath. Elsevier publishes over 2,500 digitized journals, including The Lancet and Cell, more than 35,000 e-book titles and many iconic reference works, including Gray’s Anatomy. Elsevier is part of RELX Group, a global provider of information and analytics for professionals and business customers across industries.
Elsevier employs over 7,000 people in more than 70 offices worldwide. We are an employer of choice, attracting and developing talented and creative people who thrive in a challenging and fast-paced environment. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package as well as a real opportunity for career growth in a growing organization. Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact 1.877.734.1938 or firstname.lastname@example.org.