The Centre for Integrative Biology Signalling Studies (CIBSS) is seeking highly motivated PhD students who want to actively shape their own careers and advance the frontiers of knowledge in signalling research.
CIBSS is a newly founded Excellence Cluster at the University of Freiburg in Germany. Our dynamic, international team aims to gain a comprehensive understanding of signalling processes across biological scales – from the action of individual molecules and cells, to the development and function of tissues and organs. By integrating signalling research with synthetic biology, chemical biology, cutting-edge technologies, and the emerging field of metabolism research, the CIBSS Team aims to make fundamental discoveries in the field of signalling research and to open up new possibilities to address global challenges in biomedicine and plant sciences.
In strong collaboration with the prestigious Spemann Graduate School of Biology and Medicine (SGBM), we are offering a structured, international and interdisciplinary graduate programme that aims to promote the scientific and career development of the next generation of signalling scientists.
The CIBSS Track in SGBM is currently recruiting doctoral researchers in the following disciplines:
Immunology and Immunodeficiency
Advanced Microscopy for the analysis and control of signalling
Chromatin Biology and Epigenetics
Mitochondrial Biochemistry and Structural Biology
Biophysics and Mechanosignalling
Mathematical Modelling and Bioinformatics
- an outstanding scientific environment in the CIBSS Excellence Cluster
- an excellent supervision and career preparation programme with proven success through the publication records and career trajectories of previous SGBM graduates
- training in cutting-edge technologies and transferable skills
- top-of-the-line infrastructure and core facilities at Freiburg’s Signalling Campus
- a diverse and vibrant environment at the edge of the Black Forest and at the heart of Europe (less than an hour to France or Switzerland)
- a work contract with payment according to the German TV-L tarif system (E13)
We are looking for:
- self-motivated and qualified students holding an MSc or equivalent (e.g. German diploma) in a relevant discipline. We also welcome applications from candidates who are currently completing their MSc.
- candidates with excellent communication skills in English (spoken and written)
- interest and creativity to shape your own thesis project and select your thesis committee
- interest in participating actively in the curricular and social activities of the school
How to apply:
Please apply via the SGBM application portal that you can find at www.sgbm.uni-freiburg.de. Important: select the “CIBSS Track” radio button when you register.
Application Deadline: January 6, 2019
Interviews will be held in Freiburg in early March, and decisions will be communicated to the candidates shortly after. Selected applicants will be able to start in April/May 2019.
Find out more about the open positions and the CIBSS research program can be found at the CIBSS website:
The University of Freiburg, CIBSS and the associated institutes are strongly committed to diversity and equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.