The Université Côte d’Azur is a recently created consortium of higher education establishments on the Côte d’Azur, encompassing the University of Nice Sophia Antipolis and numerous other research and teaching institutions in the region.
In 2016, the UCA was awarded a prestigious “IDEX” (Excellence Initiative) award by the French government, designating the UCA as one of approximately ten French universities of high international potential and providing major funding to help achieve its goal of creating a new model for French universities.
As part of the IDEX project, the UCA has created the Office of International Scientific Visibility (ISV), with the goal of enhancing the visibility of the UCA on the international scientific stage. We are looking to hire a scientific writing and editing expert for the ISV, with a background in the social sciences or physics/mathematics. The successful candidate must also have a strong background in statistics.
Relying on your scientific and language skills, you will become an expert in the UCA research taking place in your own particular area of scientific expertise and help UCA researchers publish their findings in the best possible journals.
You will also help identify and write about scientific advances made at the UCA that are likely to attract the interest of international scientific journalists, and will help gather and analyze data about all UCA research and reflect on how to best use this data to promote the UCA internationally, including with respect to international university rankings.
This is an exciting opportunity for a native English-speaking scientist with a knack for communication to get in on the ground floor and help construct this new office and accompany the development of the UCA.
Primary job responsibilities will include:
- Editing and/or translating research manuscripts and other scientific documents for UCA researchers
- Coordinating and validating the work of freelance scientific editors for UCA publications
- Developing local expertise in best practices in scientific publication, and accompanying UCA researchers in the preparation and submission of their manuscripts in English-language journals.
- Writing and/or translating English-language press releases regarding UCA discoveries
- Participating in the training of UCA researchers in manuscript preparation and research presentations in English
- Helping to collect and analyze institutional data regarding UCA research and reflect on new ways to enhance the international visibility of the UCA and optimize its place in international university rankings
- Native English speaker with a demonstrated talent for written communication
- Scientific training (Ph.D. desired, minimum master’s) in either the social sciences or physics/mathematics.
- Experience in the preparation of scientific manuscripts
- Experience editing research articles and/or writing for a general audience
- Knowledge of the scientific publication process and desire to keep track of the latest developments in this area
- Ability to rapidly learn about new scientific topics and communicate about them in different contexts (research articles, grant applications, press releases)
- Ability to work autonomously in a varied and dynamic environment, and to handle multiple projects at once while maintaining the highest standards
- Ability to read and communicate in French
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: December 21, 2018
For more information about this and other positions available at the UCA, visit our jobs page here: http://univ-cotedazur.fr/fr/university/jobs-uca