The Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) is the National Metrology Institute of the Federal Republic of Germany with scientific and technical service tasks. It furthers progress and reliability in metrology for society, the economy and science.
In Department 4.3 “Quantum Optics and Unit of Length” of Division 4, we are looking for an
Experimental physicist (with a doctorate)
to join us as soon as possible.
The position is available on the basis of a 3-year fixed-term contract. An extension of the employment might be possible. You will be employed at our Braunschweig site.
Depending on your personal qualifications, the remuneration can reach up to remuneration group 14 TVöD Bund.
The position comprise the development and application of a transportable optical lattice clock. The optical clock is used to measure geodetic differences in heights and to conduct international clock comparisons. You will further develop our optical clocks by working on the following research aspects:
- Using our transportable lattice clock for clock comparisons and applications in geodesy at different locations
- Realization of an optimized set-up with an uncertainty of a few 10^-18
- You have successfully completed your university studies (German “Diplom” or Master’s); if possible, you have a doctor’s degree in physics
- You have profound knowledge of quantum optics, laser cooling, laser spectroscopy or related subjects
- You have expertise in atomic physics
- You are interested in developing and realizing spectroscopic precision experiments
- You have a good command of spoken and written German and English
- You are an excellent team player and have good communication skills
- You are qualified to carry out independent in-depth scientific work with great commitment and a willingness to learn
- You are willing to go on frequent business trips
The work on these cutting-edge research topics requires expertise at the current state-of-the art in experimental physics. The physical conditions for laboratory work and experiments at external places must be given
For further subject-related information, please contact:
Dr. H. Schnatz, phone: +49 531 592-4300, E-mail: email@example.com, or
PD Dr. C. Lisdat, phone: +49 531 592-4320, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
PTB promotes the professional equality of women and men and is thus especially interested in applications from women.
Within the scope of the official feasibilities, PTB offers flexible part-time work schemes in order to support in particular the compatibility of work and family life.
Disabled persons will be given priority if they have the same occupational aptitude.
Are you interested? We are looking forward to hearing from you. Please use our
online application form https://www.ptb.de/cms/ueber-uns-karriere/karriere/bms-stellen/bms-stelle.html?tx_jobmodul_pi1%5Bjob%5D=2572&tx_jobmodul_pi1%5BlistBackPid%5D=11489&cHash=3b93178209a076fb4e73b9cdfa134458
or send your application to the following postal address:
Unfortunately, we cannot accept applications sent via e-mail.
The closing date for applications is 14 December 2018.
Further information about Statement on Data Protection at: