Institute of Virology
Area of research:
Scientific / postdoctoral posts
Contract time limit:
As German Research Center for Environmental Health, Helmholtz Zentrum München pursues the goal of developing personalized medical approaches for the prevention and therapy of major common diseases such as diabetes mellitus, allergies and lung diseases. To achieve this, it investigates the interaction of genetics, environmental factors and lifestyle.
A newly founded DFG Emmy Noether research lab is seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral bioinformatician to analyze metagenomics data, with a particular emphasis on bacteriophage communities. The successful applicant will be involved in the development and the use of new methods and tools for handling, analyzing and interpreting metagenomic and meta-transcriptomic (RNA-seq), proteomic data, as well as further development and/or application of multivariate analysis methods for comparative omics. We are looking for a
- Development use of new methods and tools for handling, analyzing and interpreting metagenomic and meta-transcriptomic (RNA-seq) and proteomic data
- Further development and/or application of multivariate analysis methods for comparative omics.
- Recent PhD in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, (environmental) genomics, or a related field
- Experience in any of the following areas: viral genomics, metagenomics, meta-transcriptomics (RNA-seq), proteomics, microbial ecology
- Strong experience in scripting languages (e.g. Perl or Python)
- Good experience with processing and analysis of genomic/metagenomic data using computer clusters / high-performance computing
- Good experience with using standard bioinformatics tools and database programming (e.g. SQL)
- Good experience with using analytic tools (e.g. R or Matlab)
- Fluency in English both spoken and written
- Biology/Biochemistry knowledge and understanding of key and complex biological concepts (genes, pathways, microbial phylogeny and microbial ecology.)
- Ability to independently carry out creative research with tenacity and of the highest quality standards
- At least one first author paper in an international peer reviewed journal
At the Helmholtz Zentrum München, you can contribute together with leading researchers to the investigation of the development, prevention and treatment of environmental diseases such as diabetes, chronic lung diseases and allergies. In order to further promote your professional development, we offer extensive and targeted research training and career programmes. We support the reconciliation between work and private life with flexible working time models, occupational health management, day care facility for children, a childcare subsidy, Elder Care, as well as other counseling and support services.
Remuneration and benefits are in accordance with the collective agreement for the public service (TV EntgO Bund).
The position is (initially) limited to 2 years with option of further extension up to 5 years.
The activity involves special knowledge and experience specific to own scientific skills.
As a holder of the Total E-Quality Award, we promote equality of opportunity. Applications from women are welcome. Qualified applicants with physical disabilities will be given preference.
We are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive online application in a single PDF file - including CV and a complete list of publications, statement of research interest and at least two reference letters.