The European Training Network “MgSafe” is offering in total
15 PhD positions
in the area of magnesium implant imaging
The EU-funded MSCA-ITN ‘MgSafe’ investigates a novel combination of imaging technologies for biodegradable magnesium implants in order to promote patient safety.
The PhD candidates will quantify the physical impact and suitability of a variety of modalities on Mg implants. Highly sophisticated imaging techniques (nano and μCT, MRT, PET, USPA, IR) will be developed beyond the forefront of medical device production. This will be done in vivo and with in situ labelling options to deliver non-invasively data on different time and length scales. The body reaction and material behaviour will be investigated during Mg degradation with a precision and plethora of details, which is currently not available.
We are looking for highly motivated candidates for the following PhD project (please find more detailes on the website www.mgsafe.eu ):
P5: Veterinary or Biomedical Scientist
MRI development for Mg implants to study inflammation.
The research topic is the longitudinal 3D physiological measurements in rats by MRT/MRS, multimodal approaches MRT/USPA and FMT/µCT. Development and optimisation of imaging procedures. Imaging of Mg implant degradation and monitoring the functional changes of tissue parameters (inflammation/angiogenesis/oxygenation). The applicant will be involved in surgical procedures on animals, will produce and analyse complex data with respect to the property profile of materials.
The applicant holds a master’s degree in veterinary or biomedical science, or related areas. He/she is willing to be involved in animal research. Experience in at least one of the areas of imaging technologies, small animal surgery, laboratory animal science, processing and analysis of matrix data (ideally in the area of magnetic resonance spectroscopy) is required. Expertise in animal handling, basic statistics, basics of imaging physics and imaging technologies is requested.
Place of work:
Hannover Medical School, Institute for Laboratory Animal Science, Combinatorial Imaging Facility, CiF, Hannover, Germany (Dr. M. Meier)
Hannover Medical School
- Excellent job opportunities in attractive and well-equipped research groups (e.g. nano and μCT, MRT, PET, USPA, IR, microscopy, cell culture and corrosion laboratories)
- Intense exchange with researchers located in eight European countries
- Comprehensive academic support program including subject-specific courses, soft skill training, research stays abroad, individual career coaching
- 3-year employment contract, salaries according to the EU MSCA-ITN regulations
Your general qualifications:
- Research-based master’s degree or equivalent (e.g. diploma) in a subject related to the respective position
- Excellent command of English
- Pro-active attitude, good communication skills and ability to work effectively in an interdisciplinary international team
- Flexible, creative, self-organised and able to work independently on multiple tasks
- Experience in publishing
- Motivation to participate in the projects training program
Mobility requirements of MSCA-ITN European Training Networks:
Applicants need to be Early-Stage Researchers. They must, at the date of recruitment, be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers (= after acquiring MSc degree or similar) and have not been awarded a doctoral degree yet.
Researchers can be of any nationality. They are required to undertake physical, transnational mobility (i.e. move from one country to another) when taking up their appointment. Mobility rule: researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the recruiting beneficiary for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date.
Starting from April 1st 2019, the positions will be awarded for three years.
How to apply:
Please send your application in English indicating job offer code no. 2018/WB 5-P5 by email preferably in one pdf file not exceeding 10 MB to email@example.com. Please DO NOT send applications via email to individual PIs or organisations. Such emails will not be considered.
Make sure that your application includes:
- a CV which gives an overview of the academic/education history, including a list of courses/exams and grades, the exact award date (day/month/year) of the degree with original transcripts of Bachelor and Master University Degree (or similar) as well as copy of valid identity documents,
- a list of your publications,
- a list of skills you acquired during the courses attended at university,
- a documentation of special skills suitable for the position you apply for,
- a documentation of your excellent English skills (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, CAE or CPE with minimum scores of: TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test), IELTS: 6.5 with no section lower than 5.5, or equivalent),
- a copy or half-page summary of master/diploma thesis and
- a letter of motivation (up to 2 pages) which states your research experience and interests and a concrete project plan, which explains how you envisage your work in the project,
- names and contact information of at least two academic referees who could write a letter of recommendation.
Deadline for applications: 15.12.2018