Scientific / postdoctoral posts
The Helmholtz Centre Potsdam – GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences is the national research centre for Earth sciences in Germany. With approx. 1260 employees (including visiting scientist), the GFZ is conducting interdisciplinary research on the “System Earth” and the influence of humans on the planet. As a member of the Helmholtz Association, it is part of Germany’s largest science organization. Within the framework of a Helmholtz-funded appointment in the new group of “Atomistic modeling of (geo)materials”, Section 4.3 "Chemistry and Physics of Earth Materials", Department 4 “Geomaterials”, we invite applications for a
Job Vacancy No. 1898The position is initially for one year, but it could be extended for an additional year subject to the candidate’s performance and funding. The successful candidate will be part of the brand-new group of Prof. Maribel Núñez Valdez (https://www.gfz-potsdam.de/en/staff/maribel-nunez-valdez/sec43/) engaged in a joint appointment between GFZ and the Goethe University Frankfurt/Main. The researcher will be involved at various degrees in first-principles calculations dealing with (geo)materials important because of 1) fundamental reasons, 2) their relevance in technological/energy applications, or 3) their significance for Earth and planetary modeling.
- carry out ab initio calculations and analyses to determine diverse physical properties that will depend on the material under investigation, e.g. but not limited to, structural, electronic, magnetic, elastic, vibrational (phonons), thermodynamic, or transport properties as a function of pressure, composition, size, strain, temperature, etc.
- code development, if necessary, in order to understand, manage, or process initial results to set them up within a particular field of interest as described in the introduction
- present work at regular group, department, national and international meetings in poster or oral presentation.
- publication of the scientific results in peer-reviewed international journals
- collaborate in the mentorship of future grad students and grant-proposal writing
- work closely with experimentalists and in an international and multidisciplinary environment
- a recent (or receiving shortly) PhD in physics, chemistry, materials science, geosciences or closely related field
- experience with quantum simulations based on density functional theory using VASP and/or Quantum Espresso (knowledge of other electronic structure codes is a plus) demonstrated by peer-reviewed publications
- additional skills with molecular dynamics, Monte Carlo simulations, other modeling techniques, and scientific programming are also beneficial and highly desirable
- mandatory knowledge of LaTeX, UNIX/Linux, and the use of supercomputing resources (running codes, compiling, scripting)
- excellent level of scientific communication in English for discussions, oral presentations, and manuscript and proposal writing
- experience working in collaboration with experiments is helpful
Starting date: 1st May 2019
Fixed term: 1 year with possibility of extension
Salary: The pay scale grouping will be based on TVöD-Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost).
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week). The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
Location: Potsdam You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam und Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.Please submit your application by 6th January 2019, written in English with the following ordering:
- a one-page letter of motivation stating how you fit the criteria of the post and your research interests
- a full CV containing the names and contact information of your PhD advisor and an additional recommender; (They will be invited to submit a letter of support on your behalf if your application is shortlisted.)
- your BSc, MSc (if obtained) and PhD certificates
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878.