Ervaxx is a well-funded, early stage biotech, which has identified novel tumour-specific antigens derived from reactivated endogenous retroviral sequences. The company is using this foundational discovery to enable the development of a range of pharmaceutical products including vaccines, biologics and cell therapies. Importantly, these pharmaceuticals are non-personalised and thus able to broadly impact the needs of oncology patients. We are looking to increase the capacity of our immunopeptidomic pipeline to expand the number of tumour types, in which we can confirm the presence of antigenic peptides, predicted from transcripts arising due to dysregulated human endogenous retroelements.
We are looking for a highly motivated Senior Scientist/Associate Director who has a deep passion for applying state-of-the-art mass spectrometry technology in the exciting field of immuno-oncology. The candidate will lead our efforts to acquire and interrogate immunopeptidomic data from primary human tissue in order to discover and validate novel cancer-specific antigens.
As a senior member of our team, the Senior Scientist/Associate Director will collaborate closely with our internal team of scientists, as well as external collaborators, and engage in regular dialogue with the leadership team and board of directors. The work will be carried out under guidance/close collaboration of Dr. Nicola Ternette, who is leading the Antigen Discovery Group at the Nuffield Department of Medicine at Oxford University.
The position is based on Old Road Campus, Headington, Oxford and presents an excellent opportunity for someone looking to translate academic research into high impact clinical applications.
- Overseeing the generation of proteomic and immunopeptidome datasets from primary tumour samples and corresponding normal tissue using LC-MS/MS platforms.
- Leading advanced MS data analysis using existing software packages and integration of other data sources with bioinformatics support
- Critical evaluation of distinct analysis approaches to determine pathways to the most robust analysis
- Further development of research based on results obtained in the studies
- Accurate transmission of the processed data within Ervaxx team and to external collaborators/researchers
- Maintenance of complete and accurate records of data and results. Provision of oral and written reports and manuscripts for publication in leading biomedical journals
- Keeping up to date with latest developments in the field including the participation in conferences
- PhD (or near completion) in quantitative biology or biochemistry or a related subject
- A minimum of 3-5 years of postdoctoral experience in academia and/or industry
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in proteomics
- A strong working knowledge of proteomics methods and analysis of MS data
- Experience with operating Thermo Scientific Orbitrap mass spectrometers and data analysis
- Basic knowledge of immunology and/or cancer pathways
- A responsible nature with a methodical and careful approach to working in the laboratory independently and to collate information meticulously
- The ability to communicate results clearly and effectively and to discuss scientific ideas both within the work environment and the consortium
- The ability to work on several projects in parallel and to solve complex problems
- Excellent and precision driven work approach
- Self-starter with an ability to thrive as part of interdisciplinary, virtual team