A Research Centre of the Helmholtz Association
The location Hamburg is seeking:
2 Scientists (f/m/diverse) at Beamline P11,
DESY is one of the world’s leading research centres for photon science, particle and astroparticle physics as well as accelerator physics. More than 2,400 employees work at our two locations Hamburg and Zeuthen in science, technology and administration.
Looking back on a long tradition in research with synchrotron radiation, DESY is one of the leading centres in the field of photon science worldwide. With the storage ring PETRA III and the Free Electron-Laser FLASH, DESY offers a unique combination of photon sources to the scientific community. PETRA III, one of the most brilliant hard X-ray facilities worldwide, currently provides 20 undulator beamlines for experiments utilizing the extreme source brilliance. The ‘Bioimaging and Diffraction Beamline P11’ provides extremely high flux densities allowing for ultra-fast 3D structure determination of biological samples. We are seeking two highly motivated scientists (f/m/diverse) to enhance our macromolecular crystallography research team for this state-of-the-art beamline.
- Develop and pursue own independent research projects in the field of macromolecular and serial crystallography
- Commissioning of new instrumentation, implementation of new techniques and software applications at the beamline
- Work in an interdisciplinary team in very close collaboration with the user community
- User support at P11
- PhD in biochemistry, chemistry or a related field Strong background in X-Ray crystallography and protein structure determination using synchrotron radiation and/or free electron lasers is required
- Good experimental skills and strong interest in instrumentation development are beneficial
- Programming skills in Python or C++ would be an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and teamwork abilities
For further information please contact Dr. Anja Burkhardt +49 40 8998-1775,
The position is limited to 2 years.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women. Vacant positions at DESY are in general open to part-time work. During each application procedure DESY will assess whether the post can be filled with part-time employees.
We are looking forward to your application via our application system:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Code: FSPO020/2018
Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg | Germany
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
Deadline for applications: 2018/12/05