Institute of Materials Research
Area of research:
Scientific / postdoctoral posts
Doctoral candidate (m/f)
in the area of laser processing and structural integrity assessment
code no. 2018/WM 2
The place of employment is Geesthacht.
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht in Geesthacht, near Hamburg, and in Teltow, near Berlin, conducts materials and coastal research. You can find more information at www.hzg.de.
The Institute of Materials Research of the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht in Geesthacht, Germany, invites applications for a Doctoral candidate (m/f) in the area of laser processing and structural integrity assessment. The position is initially limited for three years (starting as soon as possible).
In an international scientific team you will work on interesting topic with the focus on integrity assessment and development of laser processed materials and structures for application in the automobile and aircraft industry. You will be responsible for the development and implementation of research projects in the area of laser additive manufacturing with an emphasis on the development of models for the prediction of fracture mechanical behavior of laser processed lightweight metallic structures. For this purpose, appropriate prediction models have to be developed and implemented in a commercial finite element program (i.e. ABAQUS). The designed project will be in close collaborations to experimental works within the research group so that realization of experiments is also expected. As qualified researcher in the field of mechanics, materials engineering and laser material processing, you will be responsible for the scientific realization of the research topic. The possibility to obtain a PhD in the context of the research topic is given.
The research tasks include:
- experimental study of laser additive manufacturing process for generation of high strength titanium structures
- development, algorithmic formulation and numerical implementation of probabilistic models for the prediction and optimization of fatigue properties
- identification of parameters for the models on basis of the experimental results
- performance of systematic benchmarks between simulation and experiments
- determination of the fatigue performance on basis of the process parameters
- supervision of students and master thesis on the related research field
We expect for this position from you:
- Master?s degree in mechanical engineering, materials engineering, physics or related areas
- programming skills (e.g., Python, C, C++)
- experience in laser processing of metallic materials, materials engineering, fracture mechanics, numerical methods and the finite element method
- excellent communication (good English language skills) and organizational skills. German language skills are an asset
- creativity and being a team player
For further information please do not hesitate to contact Dr.-Ing. Nikolai Kashaev (firstname.lastname@example.org)
We offer you:
- multinational work environment with over 950 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure including modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht is an equal opportunity employer and particularly strives to increase the percentage of women in the science sector. Severely disabled persons with equal qualifications will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Please send your application indicating job offer code no. 2018/WM 2 by email (as pdf-file including CV, a statement of interest and copies of master/diploma/ university certificates) to our human resources (email@example.com)
Closing date for applications is December, 16th, 2018.