An international selection competition for the hiring of 1 PhD researcher is open, pursuant to the Decree-Law no. 57/2016, of August 29, as amended by Law 57/2017, of 19 of July, under projet ’739572 – THE DISCOVERIES CTR – H2020-WIDESPREAD-2016-2017, by means of an individual fixed-term employment contract.
INTERNATIONAL SELECTION COMPETITION FOR THE HIRING OF 1 PhD RESEARCHER, UNDER PROJET ‘DISCOVERIES CTR’ (FIXED-TERM CONTRACT)
1. By order of the Rector of the University of Porto, Professor António Manuel de Sousa Pereira, it was decided to open an international selection competition for hiring 1 PhD Researcher to carry out scientific research activities in the areas of Natural Sciences and Medical and Health Sciences, under projet ’739572 – THE DISCOVERIES CTR – H2020-WIDESPREAD-2016-2017, funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 framework program, by means of an individual fixed-term employment contract, under the Portuguese Labour Code, for the exercise of the following functions:
a) participate in the establishment of a research laboratory;
b) developing a dynamic research program in screening, bio-imaging and advanced micro-technologies;
c) coordinate research activities between i3S / U.Porto and other members of the Discoveries CTR consortium;
d) establish new collaborations inside and outside the consortium;
e) fund raising to promote research for your laboratory.
f) coordinate and guide master and PhD students in the research activities of the Discoveries CTR Consortium.
The contract will be in force during the execution of the aforementioned project, which is due to end on 03/30/2024, and as long as there is budgetary availability.
2. Applicable Legislation
Decree-Law n.º 57/2016, of August 29, amended by Law No. 57/2017 of July 19 (Legal Regime of Scientific Employment – RJEC); Regulatory Decree n.º. 11-A / 2017, of December 29; Portuguese Labour Code, approved by Law nº. 7/2009, of February 12, in its current wording.
3. Pursuant to article 18 of the RJEC, this competition is exempted from the authorization of the members of the Government responsible for the areas of finance and Public Administration, namely that referred to in paragraph 3 of article 7 of the General Public Service Labour Law (LTFP), obtaining the prior favorable opinion of the members of the Government responsible for the areas of Finance and Public Administration referred to in paragraph 5 of article 30 of the LTFP and the procedure for the recruitment of workers in requalification situations, referred to in article 265 of the LTFP.
4. In accordance with Article 13 of the RJEC, the Selection Panel of the competition is composed as follows:
Mário Adolfo Monteiro da Rocha Barbosa, Scientific Coordinator of the Institute for Research and Innovation in Health (i3S) and Professor of the Abel Salazar Institute of Biomedical Sciences of the University of Porto
Rui L. Reis, Director of Group 3B’s of the Research Institute for Biomaterials, Biomimetics and Biodegradables, Vice-Rector for Research and Innovation and Professor of University of Minho
Jonathan Knowles, Professor of the University College London
João Carlos Bettencourt de Medeiros Relvas, Main Researcher and Group Leader of the Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology (IBMC)
Claudio Enrique Sunkel Cariola, Director of the Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology (IBMC) and Professor of the Abel Salazar Institute of Biomedical Sciences of the University of Porto
5. The workplace is located at the Institute for Research and Innovation and Health (i3S).
6. The monthly remuneration to be paid is €3.764,71, corresponding to Scale 1, Index 195, of the table annexed to the Statute of the Career of Scientific Research, approved by Decree-Law no. 124/99 of April 20, in its current wording.
7. This competition is open to national candidates, foreigners and stateless persons holding a doctorate degree in the scientific field of Natural Sciences and Medical and Health Sciences, Biotechnology, Bioengineering, Chemistry, Physics or related fields and with a scientific and professional curriculum that shows an appropriate profile for the activity to develop.
If the candidate holds a doctoral degree awarded by a foreign higher education institution, it must be recognised by a higher education institution in Portugal and it must comply with the provisions established in Decree-law No. 341/2007, published in the Official Gazette (Diário da República), 1st series, No. 197, of 12th October. This formality must be met by the deadline set to submit the application.
8. Specific requirements for admission are as follows:
a) Solid training in Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience, with experience in one of the following subjects: Bio-image, micro-technologies, biophysics, mathematical modelling, neuroprotection, animal models of disease or developmental biology;
b) Postdoctoral experience in areas relevant to the scientific domain of this application (e.g., screening, bio-imaging and advanced micro-technologies);
c) Experience in obtaining and managing competitive financing funds at national and international level;
d) Evidence of scientific independence, namely excellent scientific production in recent years that identifies him as a leader in screening, bio-imaging and advanced micro-technologies;
e) Experience in the management and leadership of research teams.
9. Preferencial requirements are:
a) Experience in the supervision of Master and PhD students;
b) Excellent command of the English language.
10. Pursuant to article 5 of RJEC, selection is to be made based on candidate scientific and curricular career evaluation.
11. Scientific and curricular career evaluation focuses on relevance, quality and up-to-dateness:
a) Scientific, technological production of the last 5 years considered more relevant by the candidate;
b) Applied or practice-based research activities developed in the last 5 years and considered of greater impact by the candidate;
c) Activities of extension and dissemination of knowledge developed in the last 5 years, namely in the context of the promotion of scientific practices, considered of greater relevance by the candidate;
d) Management activities of science, technology and innovation programs, or experience in the observation and monitoring of the scientific and technological system or of the higher education system, in Portugal or abroad.
12. The period of five years referred to in the preceding paragraph may be increased by the Selection Panel, at the request of the candidate, when substantiated in suspending scientific activities for socially protected reasons, namely parental leave, prolonged serious illness, and other situations of unavailability for work that are legally protected.
13. The evaluation criteria are as follows:
Assessment criteria: Scientific and Curricular Assessment (APCC) focuses on the two aspects described below and the final classification is obtained by the following formula: APCC = 0,6 PCC + 0,4 MCI.
Evaluation of the Scientific and Curricular Pathway (PCC)
Evaluation of the relevance, quality and timeliness of the scientific and curricular path. This assessment is based on the parameters described below and their classification is obtained by the following formula: PCC = 0,6 PC + 0,4 AI.
a) Scientific Production (PC)
The scientific production (PC) of the last five years is evaluated. The classification of the scientific production is obtained by: PC = 0,6 PCV + 0.4 PCQ.
Quantitative evaluation (PCV): Publications in ISI journals in the preference area, PCV = up to 20 points; publications in related areas, PCV = up to 12 points; publications in other areas, PCV = up to 4 points.
Qualitative Assessment (PCQ): Candidates must provide copies of up to 5 articles they deem most relevant, PCQ = up to 20 points.
b) Research, Extension and Management (IA)
The activities of applied or practice-based research, as well as extension and management, developed during the last five years, are evaluated. This parameter includes:
(i) orientation / coordination of masters, doctorates and postdoctoral studies;
(ii) participation in R & D projects, services, and technology transfer;
(iii) participation in science management activities and dissemination of knowledge, including the organization of conferences, symposia and scientific cooperation activities. Activities in the area of preference, AI = up to 20 points; activities in related areas, AI = up to 3 values; activities in other areas, AI = up to 4 points.
c) Motivation and Capacity for Innovation (MCI)
Evaluation of the candidate’s motivation and ability to innovate. For this evaluation the candidate must present the documents described below and their classification is obtained by the following formula: MCI = 0,5 CM + 0,5 PI.
i) Motivation Letter (CM)
Motivation letter describing the relevance of the scientific path to the position and personal career goals: CM = up to 20 points.
ii) R & D Project (PI)
Summary of R & D Project (maximum 2 A4 pages) in the scientific area of preference: PI = up to 20 points.
15. The final classification system is expressed on a scale of 0 to 20 points.
16. The Selection Panel shall deliberate by means of a nominal vote based on the selection criteria adopted and published, and abstentions are not allowed.
17. The decisions taken at the Selection Panel meetings’ will be registered in minutes, which contain a summary of what has taken place in them, as well as the votes cast by each of the members and respective reasoning, and shall be provided to candidates whenever required.
18. After completing the application of the selection criteria, the Selection Panel will draw up an ordered list of successful candidates with their respective classification.
19. The final decision of the Jury is approved by the leader of the institution responsible for opening the competition. The final decision on hiring is the responsibility of the leader of the contracting institution.
20. Submission of applications:
20.1 Candidates must submit their applications, addressed to the Chair of the Selection Panel, stating the identification of the position, full name, number and date of the identity card, citizen’s card, or civil identification number, date of birth, address and contact address, including e-mail address and mobile phone.
20.2. The application shall be accompanied by documents proving the conditions laid down in numbers 7 and 8 of this notice, namely:
a) Copy of the PhD certificate or diploma;
b) Detailed curriculum vitae structured in accordance with the items in numbers 11 and 13;
c) Brief description of the most relevant scientific and university extension activities of the last 5 years, according to paragraph 2 of article 5 of the RJEC, and number 11 of this notice;
d) Other documents relevant to the evaluation of the candidate, taking into account the special admission requirements for each position.
20.3. The candidates present their applications and supporting documents, in digital format, PDF type, to the email addresses firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. The message subject should mention the full position reference REIT | 1 Investigador doutorado | Discoveries CTR.
20.4. Applications must be submitted by 15 december 2018 (latest at 11.59 pm GMT).
21. Candidates who incorrectly formalize their application or who do not prove to have the requirements of this competition will be excluded. The Selection Panel has the power to require any candidate, in cases of doubt, to present documents supporting their statements.
22. False statements provided by the candidates shall be punished by law.
23. The lists of the admitted and excluded candidates as well as the final classification lists will be published on the Recruitment page of the University (https://sigarra.up.pt/spup/pt/noticias_geral.lista_noticias), and the candidates will be notified by email with delivery receipt.
24. Preliminary Hearing and Final Decision Deadline: pursuant to article 121 of the Administrative Procedure Code, after notified, all candidates have 10 working days to respond. The panel’s final decisions will be announced within a maximum period of 90 days, counted from the deadline for submitting applications.
25. This competition is exclusively destined to fill the announced vacancy and can be terminated at any time until approval of the final candidate list, expiring with the occupation of said vacancy.
Porto, 2 November 2018
The Rector of the University of Porto,
Professor António Manuel de Sousa Pereira