About the team/job
The services of the Web Production Team are highly visible to the bioinformatics community worldwide. THese comprise tools that are widely used in many different contexts, such as BLAST+, Clustal Omega, HMMER3, etc. The successful candidate will be working in a small team of 4 staff dedicated to the development and maintenance of these tools, the framework on which they run and providing support for their use.
- Development of novel bioinformatic tools into the Job Dispatcher framework
- Integration of new tools and databases
- Development and maintenance of user interface methods for consuming the Job Dispatcher tools, e.g. SOAP, RESTful, Web (Angular) and other Cloud native models and the corresponding data formats and transports.
- Providing support to our internal as well as external users, both in relation to the use of the tools as well as with technical matters relating to the infrastructure required to run them locally
You will be required to document your experience in full-stack web applications development (i.e. back-end and front-end tiers, including web-based clients, programmatic access APIs, and data access layers). Java, Python, C and C++ technologies and frameworks (e.g. Spring) are widely used within the organization, so experience with these is required as well as with CI/CD methodologies.
- Masters or higher degree level or equivalent qualification/experience in computational, or related scientific discipline
- Prior knowledge of bioinformatics tools and services is highly desired
- At least 3 or more years’ experience writing production quality software, ideally in an open development model setting
- Expert knowledge of Java and Spring (MVC, Security, Integration) and related technologies
- You will be experienced in Web Services technologies (REST, SOAP, AWS, CWL, etc.) and API driven development and PaaS solutions
- A good knowledge of modern front-end technologies such as AngularJS
- Use of version control (e.g. Git, subversion) and experience of gitlab CI/CD methodologies
- You will have experience using high performance computing frameworks such as Hadoop, Condor, Apache Spark or IBM/LSF.
- Experience with running and troubleshooting web application servers (e.g. Java web containers such as Tomcat)
- Experience in communicating and working with expert users (e.g. in a science community) in a co-development model
You might also have
Previous experience evaluating open-source software and its subsequent integration to a production system
- Familiarity with agile development practices and the full software development lifecycle in a team environment
- Knowledge of scripting languages such as Perl/Python as well as Unix/Linux shells
- Experience with VMs and/or container (e.g. Docker, Singularity) deployment in public or private cloud environments
- Experience of working within a DevOps environment
You will be able to pay attention to detail but also meet deadlines. You will also demonstrate innovation and a willingness to take on new challenges and a passion for code development and making software that can be used. You have the knowledge and experience to make technical decisions with minimal supervision.
Why join us
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 22 member states and two associate member states. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation. For more information about pay and benefits click here
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
What else do I need to know
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities - visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
The initial contract is for a period of three years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.