Faculty of natural resources and agricultural sciences
Department of Molecular Sciences
An appointment as professor of Microbial Biotechnology is vacant at the Department of Molecular Sciences at SLU, Uppsala. The Department involves currently approximately 110 employees and together with two other Departments is offering an inspiring research atmosphere at the BioCenter in Uppsala. It provides an excellent research environment with expertise in plant biology, mycology, plant pathology, microbiology, food science, computational genetics, chemistry and biotechnology with a high quality infrastructure, consisting of plant cultivation facilities, advanced microscopy and molecular biology facilities, X-ray and NMR instrumentation etc. The Department provides the scientific community, trustee and the public with knowledge about chemical compounds and biological processes, as well as about their importance for society and its development. The Department conducts research, teaching and environmental monitoring in the field of inorganic, physical and organic chemistry, biochemistry, natural product chemistry, food science and microbiology. Visit us at https://www.slu.se/en/departments/molecular-sciences/
The subject covers microbial biotechnology using molecular technology for the production of biofuel, chemicals or bio-based materials for a circular and bio-based economy. Food and pharmaceutical applications are not the focus of this employment.
The holder of the position is expected to
· develop and lead internationally competitive research
· apply for external research funding at national and international levels
· plan and carry out teaching and supervision of students at different levels
· develop and maintain national and international networks and collaborations with academia, authorities, industries and stakeholders
· actively disseminate research findings and contribute with relevant knowledge to society
The successful applicant will
· hold a PhD degree and have obtained Associate Professor (docent) or equivalent
· be scientifically skilled within the subject area for this appointment
· be pedagogically skilled
· have proven ability to develop and lead research
Assessment criteria for appointment of a professor will primarily be based on the degree to which the applicant possesses the required qualifications specified for the position.
In assessment of scientific merit, the following will also be considered
· past and ongoing research
· ability to independently initiate and lead successful research
· ability to attract external funding
In assessment of pedagogic merit, the following will also be considered
· experience of planning, conducting and evaluating teaching
· supervision and examination of students at different levels
· integration of research and a scientific approach in teaching
Teaching at the undergraduate level is mainly conducted in Swedish, and at master level – in English. Applicants therefore need to possess good knowledge of the English language as well as to be able to teach a Scandinavian language or to be able to achieve that competence over the course of 2 years.
Furthermore, the assessment will consider the applicant’s degree of skills in
· developing and managing activities and staff within the academy
· interacting with relevant stakeholders and society
· dissemination of information on research and development projects
· communication and cooperation
Particular emphasis will be placed on the applicant’s scientific skills and the ability to implement the above-mentioned duties.
Assessment of pedagogic and scientific skills shall be given equal consideration.
Final date for application:
Place of work:
Form of employment:
According to agreement.
Use the document Application guidelines for appointment as professor, senior lecturer or associate senior lecturer at SLU as guide when you fill in your application.
Academic union representatives:
The Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) develops the understanding and sustainable use and management of biological natural resources. The university ranks well internationally within its subject areas. SLU is a research-intensive university that also offers unique degree programmes in for example rural development and natural resource management, environmental economics, animal science and landscape architecture.
SLU has just over 3,000 employees, 5,000 students and a turnover of SEK 3 billion. The university has invested heavily in a modern, attractive environment on its campuses in Alnarp, Umeå and Uppsala.
SLU is an equal opportunity employer.
Head of Department
+46(0)18-67 10 47
URL to this pagehttps://www.slu.se/en/about-slu/jobs-vacancies/?rmpage=job&rmjob=1421&rmlang=UK