- Drive Novartis product and technology pipeline growth in China across all Disease Areas (DAs) by seeking and assessing innovative partnering assets, and by structuring and negotiating deal structures and terms with significant deal values (20-500 Mio. $) that create mutually beneficial agreements, in coordination with NIBR and Global BD&L team.
- Prioritize and lead in-licensing partnering projects and out-licensing efforts across all DAs through to Senior Management endorsement.
- Contact potential external partner companies for the Chinese market and manage external communications.
- Responsible for transactions spanning all disease areas and technologies, from early-stage discovery through proof of concept. Transaction types include, but are not limited to, in-licensing, out-licensing, research collaborations, mergers and acquisitions, divestments, and equity investments.
- Build, lead and develop a high performing BD&L team responsible for Search & Evaluations and Transactions in the region over the coming 2-3 years with full accountability for developing an innovative research pipeline for the China Region.
- Interact and support group divisions in the Asia Pacific region as required including Pharma and Sandoz business.
- Oversee the partnership relationship throughout the partnering process from initiation to integration with China BD&L team.
- Contribute to the long-term strategic planning for Global BD&L activities and lead the overall growth of the Novartis pipeline and portfolio for China.
- Act as an ambassador for the broader Novartis organization in the Chinese Pharma/Biotech/Venture Capital/Academic community.
- Lead Search & Evaluation projects for the China region with China BD&L team.
- Lead the most complex and critical transactions within China BD&L team, including contract drafting and analysis.
- Assembling and leading cross-functional and cross-divisional teams that include representation from multiple functional areas, including research, development, manufacturing, safety, regulatory, commercial, legal, patents and finance.
- Fully accountable for the development of Chinese partnering strategies across disease areas.
- Identify potential partners for and leading out-licensing activities across disease areas, as needed.
- Build and leverage a network of internal and external contacts.
- Collaborate with other Novartis BD&L groups to ensure seamless management of transaction negotiations and implementation of strategic initiatives.
- Provide in-depth understanding of the business, competition and external market in China.
- Manage and mentor colleagues in the BD&L function on Director and Associate Director level and build a cross-functional team in China.
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Number of deals evaluated and closed
- Number of deals approved by the organization for negotiation or execution
- Quality of assessments and due diligence
- Identify and decline flawed deal opportunities expeditiously
- Innovating creative deal structures that mitigate risks and/or financial exposure
- Approval of BD&L strategies and plans in alignment with NIBR strategy
- Compliance with BD&L processes
- Compliance with Novartis’ Values and Behaviors
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in a scientific discipline) plus advanced degree (M.S., Ph.D., M.D., J.D. and/or M.B.A.)
- Chinese, Fluent; English, Proficient
- > 10 years experience in designing and negotiating complex business development transactions in pharma/biotech industry
- > 5 years of demonstrated leadership in a matrixed environment (across functions, regions and countries) in pharma/biotech industry
- > 3 years Management experience in pharma/biotech industry, including drug development programs, preferred
- Track record of > 3 years of interpreting complex information from technical, business and legal sources
- Work experience in a western country desired
- Outstanding and proven negotiation expertise in China
- In-depth knowledge of the pharma/biotech industry and the role and dynamics of corporate and business development in China
- Creative thinker with ability to establish innovative business solutions, structures and concepts
- Strong understanding of drug discovery and development
- Collaborative, proactive, nimble change leader operating across multiple functions
- Well-organized with a strong sense of urgency; a team player with creative mind capable of managing multiple projects in parallel
- Excellent matrix leadership skills including the ability to lead large cross-functional teams and manage diverse functions and cultures, building consensus from multiple viewpoints and styles
- Use high-level strategy to project a vision for value creation
- Ability to manage and negotiate with stakeholders effectively, to anticipate and address potential challenges and to manage conflict
- The incumbent should be able to travel extensively and must have aptitude to work in a cross-cultural, multinational environment
Novartis Shanghai Campus
Novartis Shanghai Campus is located in the middle of the booming Hi-Tech Park in Pudong, Shanghai. This state-of-the-art campus is surrounded by top universities and research institutes, such as Shanghai Tech University, Fudan University, Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, National Protein Science Center, and a growing number of biotech companies. We have more than 700 R&D scientists dedicated to discovering and developing innovative medicines. Our interdisciplinary teams consist of scientists and physicians, who were trained and worked aboard as well as Ph.D. and M.Sc graduates from top universities and medical schools in China. We offer great opportunities for career develop and foster an open and entrepreneurial culture that encourages creative problem solving and teamwork to discover transformative therapies for patients.
Talent Acquisition & Staffing Partner, Research (CNIBR)