At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
As a Senior Research Scientist within the Center for Epigenetics Research, the successful candidate will be responsible for leading and managing the Innovation Laboratory. The core mission of this group is to develop new experimental methodologies in epigenetics research and implement these and existing technologies. The group will work in close collaboration with clinicians and scientists at MSKCC, as well the computational biology and genome analysis group in the Center for Epigenetics research. This position involves the oversight and training of laboratory staff at the M.S. and Ph.D. levels, and requires the ability to define and articulate new research directions and experimental approaches. In addition to overseeing day-to-day operations in the laboratory, this role requires a broad base of technical knowledge regarding existing methods in epigenetics research as well as the ability to creatively invent and customize new ones. He/she will work closely with leadership, experimental and computational biologists, and technical staff in the Center.
- Lead and manage laboratory staff
- Interview, hire, orient, and train new laboratory staff
- Delegate work to staff to meet center goals and requirements
- Work with laboratory staff and the director to define and articulate research directions, new techniques and laboratory procedures for the Innovation Lab
- Attend management technique or other leadership classes as referred by supervisor
- Evaluate and determine the benchmarking needed and the metrics required for building and monitoring the experimental procedures
- As leader of the Innovation Lab, meet with other project leaders to design and execute project enhancements that allow for maximal integration of techniques and staff expertise
- Assist in grant writing
- Work with Lab Managers and Project Managers to determine the metrics needed to assess quality of and need for updating laboratory procedures
- Work with the Computational group to synergize the experimental procedures with the computational analysis
- Evaluate the novelty of newly designed methods with regard to patentability and potential intellectual property
- Ensure data migration occurs in an efficient and timely manner with regard to the needs of core members and collaborators
- Aid in the development of the laboratory portion of chargeback for internal and external projects along with other center leadership and director
- Implement and optimize commonly used methodologies for epigenetics research to address: gene expression (RNAseq, 4SU-seq, GRO-seq), histone modifications (ChlP-seq, native ChIP-seq; ChIP-exo/MNaseseq/DNase-seq), chromatin accessibility (ATAC-seq, MNase-seq), DNA methylation (bisulfite-seq) and chromatin organization (HiC-techniques)
- Provide consultation and guidance to research scientists and other members of the Center
- Guide researchers in choosing the right method for addressing a specific question and train them in sample handling and experimental procedures
- Assist collaborators with experimental protocols and development of those
- Doctorate/PhD (at least 3-4 years of experience at Postdoc level)
- Extensive hands-on knowledge and experience with the most common high throughput epigenomics profiling techniques such as ChIP-seq, ATAC-seq, Bisulfite sequencing and others
- Broad experience in molecular biology techniques
- Excellent knowledge about epigenetics research
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills, ability to work collaboratively and effectively
- Experience in mentoring and training is a big plus
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.