Your new role:
Are you excited about emerging advances in data science? If so, we may have the perfect job for you.
We are looking for an Editor in Chief to lead the launch of an exciting new Cell Press open access journal focusing on data science.
As tools and approaches for data collection and analysis develop, including into artificial intelligence and machine learning, it’s increasingly clear that the science of analyzing and processing data is becoming a field in its own right. We are excited to see these developments, and the impact that enhanced analytics are having on both science and society. Our new journal will be designed to cover these areas and discuss the full impact of data science application in a broad range of contexts.
We are looking for an experienced and collaborative Editor in Chief with a strong vision for this new journal and how it can contribute to advancing the technology and application of data science. This job offers a unique opportunity to shape a publishing venue that will influence the overall progress of the field.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Working with Cell Press editorial leadership to devise and implement strategic and organizational plans for the journal
- Building effective working relationships with colleagues across Cell Press and beyond
- Representing the journal and Cell Press at scientific meetings
- Leading networking and outreach in the scientific community
- Managing the hiring and training of editorial team members
- Commissioning thoughtful and topical review material
- Recruiting original research articles and managing peer review
As the Editor in Chief, you will also travel to scientific conferences and research institutions to directly engage with scientists and to keep abreast of recent research developments. You will also have the opportunity to be a stakeholder in innovative Cell Press initiatives that shape the future of science communication.
This is a full-time editorial position based in our main office in Cambridge, MA. Our preference is for a candidate who would work in this location, but we are also open to candidates who would work in other locations where we also have offices.
What you should bring:
- Broad interests and a passion for helping researchers publish their work.
- Strong expertise in data science/analytics and a keen sense of trends and developments
- Experience in editorial selection of papers to match journal scope and editorial standards, preferably as a full-time professional editor.
- Enthusiasm for working with people. Collaboration and networking are core aspects of the job.
- A dynamic, results-oriented approach to goals and objectives.
- A good understanding of digital communication, publishing trends, and open access publishing.
- Creativity, willingness to experiment, and desire to improve.
- Strong organizational skills, and the ability to prioritize, focus, and achieve desired goals.
- Great interpersonal skills. Collaboration and networking are core aspects of the job.
- A PhD or other relevant doctoral degree.
- Managerial experience is desirable but not required.
Elsevier is a global information analytics business that helps institutions and professionals progress science, advance healthcare and improve performance for the benefit of humanity. We help researchers make new discoveries, collaborate with their colleagues, and give them the knowledge they need to find funding. We help governments and universities evaluate and improve their research strategies. We help doctors save lives, providing insight for physicians to find the right clinical answers, and we support nurses and other healthcare professionals throughout their careers.
Elsevier provides digital solutions and tools in the areas of strategic research management, R&D performance, clinical decision support, and professional education; including ScienceDirect, Scopus, SciVal, ClinicalKey and Sherpath. Elsevier publishes over 2,500 digitized journals, including The Lancetand Cell, more than 35,000 e-book titles and many iconic reference works, including Gray’s Anatomy. Elsevier is part of RELX Group, a global provider of information and analytics for professionals and business customers across industries.
Elsevier employs over 7,000 people in more than 70 offices worldwide. We are an employer of choice, attracting and developing talented and creative people who thrive in a challenging and fast-paced environment. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package as well as a real opportunity for career growth in a growing organization. Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact 1.877.734.1938 or email@example.com.