Leading Edge editor – Cell
Cell’s Leading Edge section covers a wide range of article formats—including reviews and opinion pieces—on research advances, emerging scientific themes, and translational discoveries of interest to our broad readership. We are looking for a full-time editor to join our editorial team to cover the journal’s Leading Edge content. Prior editorial experience is not required. We will consider candidates at all levels of seniority.
In this role, you will:
- Manage the journal’s Leading Edge pipeline.
- Commission and develop content such as Reviews, Primers, Perspectives, Commentaries, Conversations, Voices, and SnapShots.
- Edit Leading Edge manuscripts to make them clear, concise, and engaging.
- Manage the peer review process.
- Help to guide the journal by adapting its content, article types, and communication style.
- Engage the scientific community in their labs and at conferences to learn about scientific developments and establish relationships.
As an editorial member of the Cell team, you will also have opportunities to contribute to broader Cell Press initiatives, advocate for science, provide thought leadership, and influence the practice and direction of science and scientific communication.
- Broad interests, love of science, and desire to learn. As an editor, you will need to understand the diverse science covered by Cell, and you will need to appreciate the issues and questions that drive different fields.
- A talent for clear communication. Good editors help authors make their message clear, concise, and compelling, so readers know why the science is important and how it will impact their work.
- An appreciation of broad topic areas, and vision for emerging themes and content of interest to the scientific community.
- Interest in digital communication and publishing trends.
- Creativity, willingness to experiment, and desire to improve.
- The ability to organize, prioritize, and focus.
- Great interpersonal skills. Collaboration and networking are core aspects of the job.
- PhD in a topic area covered by Cell.
This is a full-time in-house editorial position, based at the Cell Press office in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Cell Press offers an attractive salary and benefits package and a stimulating working environment. Applications will be held in the strictest of confidence.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please include a cover letter describing why you are interested in the job and how your skills, knowledge, and background could contribute to the journal.