Exempt Overtime Eligible
We are seeking a highly motivated and talented individual with a strong background in synthetic organic chemistry to join our pharmaceutical chemistry team in the Caltech Chemistry Department. Chemists at Caltech have developed a proprietary platform technology for creating small molecules to treat patients with unmet medical needs. The technology allows unprecedented structural tailoring of small molecules and will enable the development of molecules with better target receptor docking and other desirable properties. This project is driven by a collaboration with a drug development start-up and a highly respected medical school’s translational oncology group. The oncology group will provide their proprietary knowledge of unknown oncologic dependencies and experimental expertise and the start-up will provide operational support and access to deep in-silico and drug development expertise. Our collaborators have also developed a broad database of intriguing biological targets. As the project progresses there may be an opportunity to become involved in the external start-up, where there are additional non-salary compensation incentives.
– Design and synthesize novel chemical compounds to optimize potency, selectivity, pharmacokinetics, and in vivo efficacy.
– Interface with our biological and pharmacological collaborators in the testing and development of interesting compounds.
– Collaborate closely with a broad group of scientists within the Caltech community, external collaborators, and outside service providers.
– Gain knowledge and expertise in use of state-of-the-art in silico modeling tools for hypothesis driven design of novel compounds and exploration of structure-activity relationships.
– Independently drive the project through intellectual insight and efficient use of time and resources.
– Contribute effectively to patent, report, and scientific publication writing.
– Other duties as assigned.
– Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry (completed by December 2018).
– Demonstrated ability to scout and troubleshoot synthetic routes and perform challenging synthetic organic chemistry.
– Clear understanding of structural determination using NMR and Mass Spectral techniques as well as knowledge of related purification methods.
– Demonstration of good lab practices.
– Excellent communication skills (both written and oral), leadership skills, and the ability to work well in teams and independently.
– Experience in complex multi-step synthesis.
– Basic understanding of computational chemistry.
– Knowledge of basic medicinal chemistry principles, including an understanding of ADME, biochemical, and pharmacological principles.
– Cover Letter
– 3 Letters of Recommendation; Confidential letters of recommendation should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails should include the applicant’s name and the position title, Medicinal Chemist.