Job title: Scientist / Senior Scientist (drug discovery)
Location: Central Cambridge
Salary range: Competitive salary. Eligible for company-wide discretionary annual bonus plan.
Job Summary: Wren Therapeutics Limited is seeking to appoint a talented scientist or senior scientist for its rapidly growing research division. The appointee will play a key role in developing and conducting drug discovery research projects, together with other members of the team, and be expected to make substantial contributions to the discovery and characterisation of new therapeutic compounds. The successful candidate will have a desire to play a role in discovering new treatments for debilitating diseases, while working in an innovative and fast-paced small company environment.
• Develop and independently manage research projects related to drug discovery, including the further development and automation of Wren’s proprietary methodologies.
• Manage external academic, industry and CRO relationships.
• Write and contribute to publications or disseminate research findings using other media, including making presentations at conferences or exhibiting work at academic or industry conferences.
• Communicate complex ideas and concepts to those with more limited knowledge and understanding as well as to peers.
Skills, qualifications and experience needed:
• Undergraduate and PhD degrees in protein chemistry, biochemistry, or a related discipline, at a leading academic institution.
• Specific research expertise in the topic of protein misfolding and aggregation, including in relation to drug discovery and human disease.
• Extensive experience working experimentally with the alpha-synuclein and/or tau proteins; experience working with other amyloid forming proteins would be beneficial.
• Extensive experience in experimental methods, including: methods for recombinant protein production and purification; methods for protein characterisation and the characterisation of the kinetics and thermodynamics of protein misfolding and aggregation, including for example the use of analytical size-exclusion chromatography, fluorescence spectroscopy, circular dichroism, limited proteolysis, chemical cross-linking, mass spectrometry; molecular and cell biology methods.
• Experience with nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy; transmission electron microscopy (TEM) and cryogenic TEM would be beneficial.
• Experience in the automation of protocols for liquid handling, including the use of robotics, would be beneficial.
• Extensive experience in theoretical and computational methods relating to the analysis of data derived from experimental methods such as those listed above.
• Developed bibliography of research publications in the specific area of protein misfolding and aggregation.
• Evidence of ability to lead, organise and participate in collaborative research projects resulting in high impact scholarly publications.
• Evidence of ability to present research findings to a scholarly audience.
• Fluency in English.
Closing date for applications: Applications must be received by 8th December 2018
Application procedure: Please send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Wren Therapeutics (Wren): Wren is a spin-off company from the Universities of Cambridge (UK) and Lund (Sweden), focused on drug discovery for protein misfolding diseases. Wren is advancing an entirely novel approach to address misfolded protein targets, based on more than 10 years of research from leading scientists in the field. Wren’s predictive, quantitative platform is built on concepts from the physical sciences and is a fundamental shift from the descriptive, qualitative methods of traditional biology, which have failed to be successful in addressing these complex systems. Wren is using its unique approach to develop therapeutics for multiple neurological and rare disorders.