Job Title: Editorial Project Manager
Location: London UK
Organisation: Open Research Group
We are excited to offer an opening to join our vibrant and innovative open access publishing team at Springer Nature, working on our respected Springer Open and BMC journal portfolios. In joining the team you would become part of one of the world’s leading global scientific and medical publishers, with staff based in Europe, Asia and the Americas. We have a fantastic opportunity for an individual with a passion for scientific advancement to develop their publishing career and work alongside some of the best in this field.
At BMC, research is always in progress. We are committed to continual innovation to better support the needs of our communities, ensuring the integrity of the research we publish, and championing the benefits of open research. BMC is part of Springer Nature.
The BMC and Springer Open Supplements and Special Projects team is responsible for the editorial high standards and efficient publication of supplements and other projects linked to our open-access journals, as well as a commitment to excellent client service.
As an Editorial Project Manager you would be responsible for a busy and versatile pipeline of open access journal supplement projects, from enquiry, through to production and publication. Working with colleagues across the business, including editorial and production colleagues, you’ll gain exposure to all aspects of the academic journal publishing industry. This is the perfect role for a highly organized and methodical person interested in a career in Science Publishing.
• Manage a busy pipeline of journal supplement projects, from enquiry, through to production and publication.
• Coordinate with production, editorial, authors and organisers, to prepare project schedules. Ensure that submissions are received on time, standard turnaround times are met and projects meet all scheduled milestones, finding necessary solutions to production or editorial challenges.
• Provide regular and proactive updates on publication status, and respond promptly to enquiries from authors and editors, maintaining a high level of customer service.
• Check article and abstract submissions meet BMC formatting guidelines and adhere to all relevant editorial and ethical policies and standards, liaising with authors and editors where corrections or clarifications are required. Provide proactive feedback to continuously identify and implement improvements to guidelines and processes.
• Prepare proposals, quotes and negotiate terms of publication, in line with standard guidelines
• Pursue both new opportunities and potential repeat projects to build a project pipeline
Experience, skills and qualifications
• Demonstrable attention to detail and accuracy
• Proven ability to organize time and manage multiple tasks at different stages
• Experience of maintaining high standards of client service
• Proven experience working successfully, both independently as well as with multi-functional teams, to work towards team goals
• A positive and proactive approach to problem solving both in daily tasks and more complex trouble-shooting.
• Educated to degree level
• A degree in a scientific discipline
• Experience in STM publishing industry
• Experience in publishing support or production role
To apply, please submit an application and cover letter outlining your suitability to the role.
Closing date: 23rd November 2018