Boehringer Ingelheim RCV Vienna is home to Boehringer Ingelheim’s dedicated drug discovery center for innovative cancer medicines. A team of more than 280 scientists and technicians, combining their expertise in cancer biology and genomics, pharmacology, medicinal chemistry, structural research, screening and discovery ADME, drive our efforts to identify novel medicines for the treatment of cancer. In the Department of Medicinal Chemistry we are currently looking for a highly motivated and result oriented scientist (m/f) with a strong back-ground in synthetic organic chemistry to strengthen our team as a Principal Scientist/Laboratory Head in the Department of Medicinal Chemistry.
The Medicinal Chemistry department and its scientists play an essential role in all phases of drug discovery and contributes to the design and optimisation of novel small molecule based innovative medicines for cancer patients. The adventure of drug discovery includes taking strategic decisions in multidisciplinary project teams and encompasses designing and synthesizing of molecules matching our ambition to drug challenging targets including novel modalities. Team science, agility, accountability and intrapreneurship comprise the skills and mindset of a scientist we would like to welcome in our team.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead an experimental medicinal chemistry laboratory focusing on synthesis of novel anticancer drugs based on own design ideas
- Supervision of a laboratory with 2-3 coworkers
- Project work in multidisciplinary research teams dedicated to indication related innovative targets
- Close interaction with our specialists of cancer genetics, pharmacology, drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics, structural research, patents, medicine and marketing
- Coordinate effectively with other research teams and disciplines across the global Discovery Research Organization
- Initiation and participation in collaborations with external partners
- Assumes responsibility for direct reports as needed including recruiting, managing, mentoring and developing scientific staff
- PhD in organic chemistry ideally with synthesis focus, with academic post-doctoral training/or research experience – in the fields of synthetic organic chemistry and or methodology/catalysis
- Ability and science driven curiosity to use the fundamental principles of organic chemistry for the hypothesis driven design of molecules
- Background in drug design with several years of experience in a pharmaceutical company in the field of medicinal chemistry is beneficial but not prerequisite
- Familiar with the planning of synthetic routes, the execution of reactions and state-of-the-art methods for isolation and characterization of products
- Ability to identify opportunities offered by new methods and techniques to increase the efficiency of your research
- Demonstrated ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams
- Ability to work independently, plan, organize, troubleshoot, present work and to show team leadership and innovative thinking
- Good organization and communication skills
- Staff restaurant
- Pension scheme
- Additional off-days (bridge days)
- Comprehensive health promotion
- Position specific training opportunities
For this position we offer an interesting salary package considering your expertise and personal competencies as well as your professional experience. We are obliged by law to state the minimum salary according to the collective agreement, which amounts to € 48,718.04 gross per year (full-time) for this position, whereby an overpayment is possible.
Who we are
At Boehringer Ingelheim we create value through innovation with one clear goal: to improve the lives of patients. We develop breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions in areas of unmet medical need for both humans and animals. As a family owned company we focus on long term performance. We are powered by 50.000 employees globally who nurture a diverse, collaborative and inclusive culture. Learning and development for all employees is key, because your growth is our growth. Want to learn more? Visit boehringer-ingelheim.com and join us in our effort to make more health.
Your HR Recruiting Manager for this Position is Carola Luengo-Espinoza.
We invite you to visit our career site! You will find there more interesting information, such as the application process or about our diverse divisions.
We look forward to receiving your online application – please enter the Job ID 1813604.