A postdoctoral position is available in the group of Professor Molly Stevens in the Division of Biomaterials and Regenerative Medicine at the Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics (MBB). The successful applicant will join a multidisciplinary research team with a translational profile, aimed at developing biomimetic and multifunctional materials systems designed to promote cell and tissue regeneration.
The position is available for 1 year with the possibility for extension. The successful candidate will be involved in the development of biomaterials designed to effect cell and tissue regeneration for multiple tissue types. The researcher will be expected to fabricate new materials and material constructs for the delivery of biomolecules and tissue engineering, to investigate the physical and chemical properties of materials constructs, to develop materials functionalised with biological cues and test their influence on tissue construct performance, and to assess the performance of the engineered systems in vitro and in vivo. The researcher will be offered extensive opportunities for collaborative work, both within KI and externally to the group of Molly Stevens at Imperial College in London and elsewhere.
The lab of Molly Stevens is part of the Biomaterials and Regenerative Medicine division of MBB. For more information see www.stevensgroup.org and www.ki.se/mbb.
- Biomaterial construct design, production, and characterisation.
- Polymer synthesis and characterisation
- Cell isolation and culture
- DNA purification and characterization
- Molecular cloning
- DNA transduction and transfection of cells
- Microfabrication techniques
- Confocal fluorescence microscopy and image analysis
- Undertake the associated data analysis and interpretation of data.
- Help the other research staff in the daily management of the group laboratories
- To liaise with the other research staff and students working in broad areas of relevance to the research project and partner institutions
- To write progress reports and prepare results for publication and dissemination via journals, presentations and the web
To attend progress and management meetings as required and network with the other research group members
Experience and Knowledge:
- Experience in microfabrication strategies, polymer synthesis, tissue construct design, fabrication and characterisation [Desirable]
- Experience in cell culture and primary cell isolation [Desirable]
- Experience in preclinical study design [Desirable]
- Experience in materials characterisation techniques including NMR, SEM, and confocal microscopy [Desirable]
- Experience in molecular cloning and transduction/transfection techniques [Desirable]
- Experience in flow cytometry [Desirable]
- Experience in qPCR and RNA isolation [Desirable]
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrable ability for innovation and original research
- Experience in the preparation of publications
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Demonstrated ability to conduct a detailed review of recent literature
- Demonstrated ability to develop and apply new concepts
- A creative approach to problem-solving
- Experience of project management (Desirable)
- Demonstrated ability to liaise with clinicians
- Experience with the biotech/biomed business community
- Experience with intellectual property in the biotech/biomed field
- Experience with community outreach activities
The successful candidate will also take a leading role in working with other PDRAs and PhDs in our multidisciplinary group.
The candidate must have a PhD in biomaterials engineering, bioengineering or other relevant discipline, and have experience with biomaterial design, fabrication and characterisation, polymer synthesis, cell culture and transfection, molecular cloning, confocal microscopy, SEM, microfabrication techniques, preclinical study design and a demonstrated ability to liaise with collaborators and clinicians. Excellent communication and organisational skills, as well as experience in the preparation of publications are necessary. A person is eligible for a position as postdoctoral research fellow if he or she has obtained a PhD no more than seven years before the last date of employment as postdoc.
An employment application must contain the following documents in English or Swedish:
- A complete curriculum vitae, including date of the thesis defence, title of the thesis, previous academic positions, academic title, current position, academic distinctions, and committee work.
- A complete list of publications.
- A summary of current work (no more than one page).
- Verifications for crediting of illness, military service, work for labour unions or student organisations, parental leave or similar circumstances.
- Verification from the thesis defence committee or the equivalent (only if the thesis defence is scheduled within three months after the application deadline).
In the personal letter you should write a short explanation of who you are and what you have done. You should also write about why you are applying for the advertised job and what you think you can add to the research group if you get the position.
The application is to be submitted through the Varbi recruitment system.
Karolinska Institutet is one of the world’s leading medical universities. Its vision is to significantly contribute to the improvement of human health. Karolinska Institutet accounts for the single largest share of all academic medical research conducted in Sweden and offers the country’s broadest range of education in medicine and health sciences. The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet selects the Nobel laureates in Physiology or Medicine.
Pursuant to the regulations of the Swedish National Archives, applications are kept on file for two years after the appointment has gained legal force. The regulations do not apply to attachments that have been printed or otherwise published.
Karolinska Institutet strives to provide a workplace that has approximately the same number of women and men, is free of discrimination and offers equal opportunity to everyone.
For temp agencies and recruiters, and to salespersons: We politely, yet firmly, decline direct contact with temp agencies and recruiters, as well as those selling additional job announcements.