Bioproperties Pty Ltd is a leading Australian veterinary vaccine research company, GMP manufacturer and global supplier of live attenuated vaccines. Our mission is to provide high quality vaccines to improve the health of intensively farmed food animals, reduce the use of antibiotics, and support sustainable, safer food supplies globally.
Bioproperties’ headquarters are in Melbourne with GMP vaccine manufacturing facilities in NSW. Bioproperties works closely with leading Australian Universities and has research laboratories within RMIT University (Bundoora) and The University of Melbourne (Werribee).
Bioproperties is seeking a positive, energetic and experienced R&D Manager to oversee the Company’s R&D division based at RMIT. To be successful in this full-time role you will have extensive experience in microbiology, molecular biology, diagnostics, vaccine development and/or growth metabolism with a dedicated commitment to research integrity.
This position would suit an innovative and dynamic team player with strong leadership qualities and customer focus. Experience working in the veterinary field, preferably within the pork or poultry industries. Specific experience in applied research, particularly veterinary medicine, would be an advantage.
• Leadership and management of a multi-disciplinary research team that is responsible for new product development, molecular diagnostics, fermentation, scale-up and technical support for end-users
• Oversee Research and Development projects on new live bacterial and viral vaccines for intensively farmed food animals, working within Bioproperties, and with external CROs in Australia and abroad
• Plan, conduct and report GxP studies, ensuring regulatory compliance for registration purposes
• Management of quality accreditation including overseeing the maintenance of documentation, QC testing of vaccine samples, and diagnostic testing of field samples as required
• Oversee laboratory services staff and operations, including safety, purchasing, training and regulatory compliance
• Represent the Bioproperties R&D team at key company meetings
• Provide expert scientific and technical knowledge and expertise to support our Research Team.
• Provide technical troubleshooting and support for sales, marketing and production teams
The successful candidate will work within a dynamic team, oversee a diverse project portfolio, and represent the Company and the R&D team’s best interests when interfacing with internal and external stakeholders including Directors, Regulatory Affairs, Quality, Technical and Production divisions, university collaborators and government departments. There will be ongoing support and training for this hands-on role, with the aim to ensure completion of key projects in a timely manner, within an efficient and supportive environment.
• Post Graduate qualification and at least 5 years experience in molecular microbiology and/or diagnostic test development or equivalent, including relevant experience at a senior level
• Demonstrated experience leading a team of research scientists to deliver project outcomes within agreed timeframes and budget
• Strong competitive research profile including success with obtaining competitive research funding
• High level oral communication and technical writing skills with timely reporting
• Willingness to travel to attend meetings, conferences and present research findings
• Experience conducting research within regulatory frameworks, e.g, GxP, NATA, OGTR.
• Experience networking with internal and external stakeholders, both nationally and internationally, within Universities, the broader research community and industry.
• Proven management and leadership skills, with demonstrated experience in team building and encouraging positive workplace behaviours
• High level project management skills: planning, organising, monitoring and communication
• Experience with preparing Animal Ethics applications and a commitment to animal welfare standards
• Flexibility to move between projects as required, and align staff with key priority areas
• Ability to set realistic project activity timelines, and manage performance against these
• Excellent time management skills with the ability to prioritise and work with competing priorities
• Ability to accept responsibility for team performance, and deliver a high standard of internal and external customer service
• An evidence based analytical approach with attention to detail
• Experience with and supportive approach to teaching staff and/or students at a range of levels
• Previous experience in new product development, particularly in the veterinary field
• Skills in bacterial fermentation, immunology and/or cell culture of viruses
• Strong publication track record
• An open mind to learning, and demonstrated interest in improving knowledge base across scientific, management and personal improvement areas
• Strong motivational skills, with a demonstrated ability to adapt personal style to a diverse audience
What we can provide
• Opportunity to work within a rapidly growing Australian-owned SME veterinary health business focused on delivering outcomes for the greater good through the development of novel live vaccines to reduce and replace the use of antimicrobial agents thus supporting the growth and sustainability of intensive animal production
• Access to state of the art facilities and equipment within an outstanding University campus in Australia’s fastest growing and most livable city
• Opportunity to be a key player in a management team supported and motivated to achieve new product innovation and deliver market outcomes
• A competitive remuneration package, commensurate with experience and including access to a share of success programme.