Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world.
Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S. Visit hhmi.org/careers to learn more about working at HHMI.
We are seeking a highly motivated and capable individual to carry out experimental research and lab management in the group of Dr. Joseph Mougous at the University of Washington. This position provides an excellent opportunity to combine technical/scientific and administrative responsibilities. It is suited for a dedicated individual who seeks experience running a laboratory and spending time at the bench. This is a key position in the laboratory as the individual will have the primary responsibility for ensuring that the lab operates in an efficient and organized manner.
The Mougous laboratory primarily investigates the mechanisms bacteria employ for interbacterial competition. In this work, they employ a wide array of techniques including bacterial genetics, protein biochemistry, structural biology, fluorescence microscopy, high throughput sequencing, and bioinformatics.
- Manage the day-to-day activities within the laboratory; ensure effective operation of equipment and availability of required supplies and maintain compliance with all policies and regulations
- Maintain collections of scientific materials (i.e., plasmids, strains, etc.) and ship requested reagents
- Act as a liaison between laboratory, HHMI staff and host institution staff on issues such as equipment inventories and procurement initiatives
- Act as a liaison between laboratory and host safety offices to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations; serve as laboratory safety officer
- Prepare media and stock solutions
- Maintain lab organization, order and stock supplies and equipment; collaborate with Investigator and grants managers to ensure appropriate spending levels
- Process reimbursements for laboratory members and visitors
- Carry out research projects in collaboration with other lab members under supervision of the Investigator or a Senior Scientist
- Train incoming personnel in basic experimental techniques and on core equipment
- Update lab webpage
- B.S. in the life sciences with research experience in an academic or industry setting and experience handling laboratory administrative matters
- Knowledge of basic molecular biology techniques and strong understanding of the underlying scientific principles
- Detail oriented with highly accurate work product
- Experience with bacterial genetics would be a plus
- Strong writing and computer skills, including demonstrated proficiency with the Mac platform and Microsoft Office applications
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to use good judgment in managing deadlines and responding to inquiries
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer