Uppsala university, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to interact constructively with society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has 42,000 students, 7,000 employees and a turnover of SEK 6.7 billion.
The Lindblad-Toh laboratory’s research programs within the collaborative environment of Uppsala University, Faculty of Medicine and SciLifeLab focus on, but are not restricted to, using comparative genomics to unravel the complexities of complex disease, spanning cancer, innate and acquired immunity, and neurobiology. To achieve this goal, we layer population level genome-wide association studies, with an array of omics and traditional genetic, biochemical, and physiological techniques applied to canine models, human cell lines and patient samples.
We are seeking an innovative, energetic and collaborative individual to work as part of a team to extend our project in deciphering the role of functional constraint and convergent evolution on genome regulation using the newly generated 200 mammals dataset.
Job Description: Genomic and bioinformatics approaches to improve the canine reference genome and dissect gene regulation. Work closely with a team of researchers, postdocs and bioinformaticians to set up and maintain the computational infrastructure needed for a large project aiming at understanding the role of functional constraint and convergent evolution on genome regulation. Your work will include: setting up and maintaining a local server, downloading, parsing and integrating publicly available large-scale data sets, creating, maintaining and querying a local MySQL database, efficiently storing and backing up of data, installing, maintaining and adapting existing software for analyses, optimizing the use of the university computational infrastructure (UPPMAX), facilitating the collaboration between the lab and the computational resources and platforms at Uppsala University/Scilifelab, setting up and maintaining a web page for the project, performing data analyses as needed. Some teaching may be included.
- PhD or equivalent work experience in computer science, engineering, bioinformatics, statistics, genomics. A high emphasis will be placed in assessing the suitability of the successful candidate for the team.
- Experience in working in UNIX/LINUX and command-line environments
- Systems administration skills
- Database management skills (setting up, maintaining and querying a local MySQL database via custom forms) are key
- Experience in setting up and maintaining a local server
- Experience with efficient data storage and back-ups
- Documented programing experience in different languages (such as C++, Perl, Python, Java) and statistical programming in R.
- Experience in writing scripts for downloading, parsing, and integrating large-scale data in diverse formats
- Experience in installing, maintaining and adapting existing software for analysis
- Experience in using high-performance computing clusters such as the one provided by UPPMAX
- Experience in creating and maintaining web pages is valued
- Experience in sequence analysis, bioinformatics/genomics analyses is a merit
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
Uppsala University finds that gender balance and diversity brings a higher quality to the organization. We therefore welcome applicants of any gender and with different birth background, functionality and life experience.
Pay: Individual salaries
Starting: The position is available as soon as possible for a period of two years.
Type of employment: Temporary position.
Working hours: 100 %
For further information about the position please contact: Professor Kerstin Lindblad-Toh. firstname.lastname@example.org
You are welcome to submit your application no later than November 14, 2018, UFV-PA 2018/3682.
Applications must be submitted as described in this advertisement.
Type of employment
Temporary position longer than 6 months
First day of employment
as soon as possible for a period of two years
Number of positions
- Professor Kerstin Lindblad-Toh, email@example.com
- Per Sundman, Saco-rådet, 018-471 1485
- Suzanne Borén Andersson, TCO/ST, 018-471 6251
- Ellena Papaioannou, Seko, 018-471 3315
Last application date
14.Nov.2018 11:59 PM CET