Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world. Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S. Visit hhmi.org/careers to learn more about working at HHMI.
Administrative Assistant II
We have an exciting opportunity for an Administrative Assistant II to support an HHMI Investigator and lab in the Biology Department at Stanford University, where we perform exciting neurobiology research (http://web.stanford.edu/group/luolab/). The Administrative Assistant will support the Investigator with a variety of research and administrative related activities and purchasing equipment/supplies. The Administrative Assistant will also interface with Stanford University and HHMI on a variety of issues, such as personnel appointments, visa applications, and research compliance.
Duties and Responsibilities may include the following:
- Maintain office records of Institute policies and procedures and communicate changes to appropriate personnel.
- Generate/manage budget for new and existing grants under the Investigator’s direction and in compliance with government agencies, private funding agencies, and Stanford Office of Sponsored Research.
- Coordinate/submit online government and private grant applications and annual reports through Stanford Office of Sponsored Research.
- Manage published manuscripts to the 'National Center for Biotechnology Information' Company (NCBI) in compliance with NIH/Pubmed policies.
- Submit reference letters for lab members and alumni.
- Perform document preparation assignments. Compose, proofread, research, and compile letters and/or special reports. Conduct library research.
- Coordinate activities between department and university, as well as \other outside parties.
- Coordinate travel arrangements, expense reimbursements, and appointments for Investigator and lab members.
- Maintain office calendar. Schedule and coordinate meetings, committee activities, conferences, and special events.
- Assist in office space and facilities planning, make change recommendations, maintain inventory of furniture and equipment.
- Perform miscellaneous administrative duties as needed
Education and Experience:
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Courses in accounting, financial principles, office management is helpful.
- At least three years of increasingly responsible experience.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
Knowledge/Understanding/Skills & Abilities:
- Highly detailed oriented with the ability to work independently and with others. Knowledge of scientific terminology and familiarity with research laboratory operations is a plus.
- Strong computer skills: Microsoft Suite: Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook. Adobe Acrobat
- Knowledge of Oracle financials – procurement, expense reports and i-journal is a plus as is familiarity with Workday, Ariba P2P and Concur.
- Ability to communicate required information, draft routine correspondence and basic reports, keep accurate records of work performed.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer