VIB is an excellence-based research institute dedicated to high-impact life sciences research and world-class technology transfer. VIB Scientists pursue basic molecular life-science research with a strong focus on translating scientific breakthroughs into novel technologies, new diagnostics, innovative medicines and improved crops and nutritional products, through close cooperation with industry. Our institute greatly values diverse standpoints and promotes an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected.
VIB is currently looking for a qualified and motivated Sequencing Technology Specialist
The Technology Watch Team at VIB is continually analyzing the potential of emerging and disruptive technologies to advance research at VIB. Where appropriate, Tech Watch mediates privileged access to these platforms by forming partnerships and negotiating purchasing licenses. Technologies of interest are subsequently evaluated and developed alongside VIB PIs in Tech Watch’s Technology Innovation Lab.
In early 2018, VIB launched the Single Cell Accelerator (SCA), a new Tech Watch initiative to ensure that VIB remains at the forefront of the cutting-edge Single Cell field. The SCA runs in the Technology Innovation Lab and allows the evaluation, development and integration of breakthrough single-cell technologies. Areas of great interest include single cell RNA-Seq, surface protein profiling (CITE-Seq/Reap-Seq/Ab-Seq), nuclei seq, DNA-Seq, and spatial omics.
To this end, we are looking to expand the Technology Watch Team with a Sequencing Technology Specialist. In this role, you will be actively exploring the potential of current and novel single cell sequencing technologies and instruments through technology development and benchmarking projects in collaboration with biotech companies which have partnered with VIB’s Single Cell Accelerator.
- Ph.D. in Life Sciences, preferably with either a Next-Gen Sequencing oriented or single cell technology focus
- You have hands-on experience in working with Next-Gen Sequencing technology platforms
- You have basic / advanced experience in Bioinformatics
- Experience in technologies related to Single Cell Sequencing (eg. 10X Genomics, DropSeq, InDrop etc.) is considered a plus
- Strong hands-on lab skills and troubleshooting experience
- Strong expertise in experimental design and superb note keeping skills
- Strong project management skills
- Strong capability to work independently as well as in a team
- Excellent organizational, communication, writing, networking, negotiation and problem solving skills
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online. Applications for this position should be written in English and include:
- A 1-page cover letter.
- A 2 page CV, summarizing the applicant’s career, including a list of publications and contact information for three referees.
Applications (cover letter + CV) should be submitted as a single pdf file.