Apoptose in hämatopoetischen Stammzellen
Area of research:
Contract time limit:
As German Research Center for Environmental Health, Helmholtz Zentrum München pursues the goal of developing personalized medical approaches for the prevention and therapy of major common diseases such as diabetes mellitus, allergies and lung diseases. To achieve this, it investigates the interaction of genetics, environmental factors and lifestyle.
The Research Unit Apoptosis in Hematopoietic Stem Cells focuses on the development of novel anti-cancer treatment strategies to eliminate leukemia stem cells. The aim is to discover mechanisms that allow inducing apoptosis in tumor stem cells, in order to overcome treatment resistance and prevent disease relapse. Using genetically modified patients leukemia cells growing in mice enables for the search for cellular structures which represent effective novel targets for therapy.
The project is funded by the ERC - European Research Council
Starting date: second quarter of 2019PhD candidate with a strong interest in cancer (f/m/diverse)
- Work in a translational research project
- Establish, improve, extend and apply state-of-the-art genetic engineering techniques (i.e. RNAi, CRISPR/Cas9)
- Implement genetic engineering methods in a patient-derived xenograft (PDX) mouse model and cell lines
- Identify genetic vulnerabilities in acute leukemia
- Execute existing NGS methods and apply bioinformatic analyses
- Closely interact with your associated PostDoc
- Maintain close interdisciplinary interaction with collaborators
- Critically evaluate scientific literature and develop your own experimental ideas and projects
- MSc in biology, molecular biomedicine, biotechnology, pharmacy, or a related subject
- Experience in flow cytometry, molecular biology, and cell biology is welcome
- Above average and sustained enthusiasm for science in general and cancer in particular
- Motivation to solve complex scientific problems
- Independent and responsible attitude, collaborative spirit
- Good written and spoken English
At the Helmholtz Zentrum München, you can contribute together with leading researchers to the investigation of the development, prevention and treatment of environmental diseases such as diabetes, chronic lung diseases and allergies. In order to further promote your professional development, we offer extensive and targeted research training and career programmes. We support the reconciliation between work and private life with flexible working time models, occupational health management, day care facility for children, a childcare subsidy, Elder Care, as well as other counseling and support services.
Remuneration and benefits are in accordance with the collective agreement for the public service (EG 13 50% TV EntgO Bund). In addition, there is also the possibility of granting an allowance amounting to 15% if the necessary conditions are fulfilled.
The position is (initially) limited to three years.
The activity involves special knowledge and experience specific to own scientific skills.
As a holder of the Total E-Quality Award, we promote equality of opportunity. Applications from women are welcome. Qualified applicants with physical disabilities will be given preference.
We are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive online application until January 22th, 2019.